Eleven - Guests From Tallarin

After they finished training in the morning, Oracus rested and bathed in his new room in the palace until evening arrived. Then, accompanied by Bandor, he navigated his way along corridors and down staircases to the grand hall. It was time for the evening feast, and when Oracus arrived in the hall, he was received by tumultuous applause from the many soldiers who filled the long tables.

After being shocked by the warmth of his welcome, Oracus was ushered to the top-table where Torvanon, Garrin and another man were sat. The three of them each had a goblet of wine in their hand and a plate of food on the table in front of them.

Torvanon poured wine into a fourth goblet and gave it to Oracus as he approached. "They love you already!" he said happily of the soldiers who were staring up at Oracus and the top-table. "Alright now!" he bellowed loudly to them. "Back to your meals."

When Oracus took a seat at the table, Garrin offered him a smile. "I hope you're not hurting too much from practise earlier," he said with a sly wink.

Oracus scowled. "I'm covered from head to toe in bruises," he complained quietly.

"Oracus, I would like to introduce you to Horvos," Torvanon said, gesturing to the third man at the table. "Commander of Afarra's soldiers."

Horvos was the same size as Torvanon, with both a barrel chest and broad shoulders. But his hair and beard were grey and wiry, and his skin weathered and dark. He wore metal gauntlets on his arms and a plate across his chest, as if convinced a battle was likely to break out during the feast. He gripped Oracus's hand firmly and nodded his head once.

"It's great to meet you," Oracus returned.

Within seconds of Oracus sitting, a huge plate of food had been placed in front of him. He took a sip of his wine, and began to eat with his hands, tearing pig meat off the bone with his teeth.

"This reminds me of the day you arrived, Garrin," Torvanon said with a loud guffaw. "Have you told Oracus what you first thought of Ursus?"

Garrin's cheeks turned pink when he faced Oracus. "I was warned Ursus devoured anyone who looked him in the eye, and I believed it," he said.

Torvanon laughed louder still. "Every time Garrin walked by, Ursus snapped his jaws and Garrin would run!"

"It took a whole month for me to realise it was a joke," Garrin added. "I was terrified."

Oracus ate until his belly was full, drank until his head was spinning, and laughed until his cheeks hurt. For the whole evening, Bandor slept soundly on his knee. Only when the early hours of the morning came did he bid his farewells and retire to his room.

Once undressed and lying on his bed, Oracus was able to relax, and he felt for the first time he could learn to like Afarra. He missed Thessley greatly, but at least the people in Afarra were kind and welcoming. And it was clear there was much more to do and see in a city so vast, rather than a village so small.

Looking at the patterned ceiling above through drunken eyes and darkness, Oracus's attention turned to his connection with Bandor. If the Lavorian hadn't been by his side then he'd have been far less accepting of the transition from Thessley to Afarra. And since the Lion had broken into his mind during training with Garrin earlier in the day, he had felt especially close to him. There was an even greater trust and respect between them.

"How did you enter my mind at the sparring area?" Oracus asked aloud.

"I'm not sure," Bandor replied. "I could just feel your presence and I forced my way in."

As they were speaking, Oracus could feel a strange presence in his own head; in fact, he'd felt it for most of the day. It was an unusual tingling sensation behind his eyes. By now, he had assumed it was Bandor's mind, and he was eager to enter it.