Fifteen - Return To Thessley

The journey ahead was due to be treacherous. Oracus, Bandor, Kivali and Quent would travel through the Raspian Forest from west to east and only enter open land to evade Fervia, one of King Jowra's cities in north-east Pharia. They would then travel through the Eastern Mountains to Lalacia, another of Jowra's cities, to restock their supplies before continuing through the mountains to Tallarin.

Kivali and Quent expected the journey to span several days. It usually wouldn't take so long, but the direct routes and tracks through Pharia were extensively patrolled by Jowra's soldiers these days, and it was wise to stay well clear of soldiers, especially with a Lavorian present.

Since Oracus had been told the first part of their trip would be through the Raspian Forest, he had been thinking more and more about Thessley. He wondered if it would be possible to stop there on the way. But he was unsure about mentioning it to Kivali or Quent.

"Just ask them, Oracus," Bandor said. "The worst they can say is no."

"I guess so," he replied. He then disconnected from Bandor's mind and spoke aloud to Kivali and Quent. "Is there a chance we could go to Thessley?"

Quent and Kivali looked at each other. "Not a chance," Quent said simply.

"There are things in my house that are important to me and I didn't get chance to collect them before."

"Soldiers will be waiting for someone to return so we won't be going there," Quent declared.

"What if we–"

"No means no!" he snapped, and his big ears turned red with anger. "Get it into your head."

Bandor growled and Kivali looked from Oracus to Quent, and then back. "Maybe we could travel there to see if it's guarded," she suggested. "If it is then we'll travel around it, but if it's safe then Oracus can go to his house and gather what he needs."

"We'll be killed if we go there," Quent said sharply.

"Not if we're careful," Kivali assured.

Quent huffed petulantly. "Fine," he said. "But if we're caught by King Jowra's men then it's on your head."

It was still early morning and Afarra could be seen in the distance behind them. They were on the grassland that preceded the Raspian Forest, but the wall of trees ahead was getting ever larger.

"So how much further is it to Thessley?" Oracus asked as they approached the trees.

"It will take us until nightfall," Kivali answered.

"Do you know how to get there?"

"I think so," Kivali answered, nodding her head. "And Bandor should know the way too. Lavorians are pretty good with directions."

As they stepped into the forest, it seemed quieter than usual. Similar to how it had been on the eerie night when Bandor fell from the sky. Other than the twigs snapping under feet, it was silent, and thick shadows lingered in places they shouldn't. Somehow, Oracus could sense the forest was unhappy, and it seemed very unwelcoming, even to him. He wondered if the soldiers were still in there, cutting down its trees and lighting fires on its floor.

For several hours, the four of them walked through the undergrowth until they encountered the main river of the forest. Suddenly, from being surrounded by only dense trees and darkness for most of the journey, they entered a magical clearing where the autumn sunlight broke through the canopy and shined onto colourful flowers and the gently-flowing river below. There, the singing birds and chirping insects were in full voice, and their harmony mixed gloriously with the rippling water.