Seventeen - A Rider In Fervia

When he opened his eyes, Oracus's vision was blurred. At first, he thought he was in his quarters at Torvanon's palace. But he soon realised the bed he was lying on wasn't as comfortable, and the room not as bright.

He sat up slowly and rubbed his eyes. Then he looked around at what appeared to be a tiny prison cell. He was alone, and besides the bed, there was nothing in the room except a thick metal door and a small barred window. It was grey outside, and an unpleasant chill lingered in the damp stone walls.

For a short time, Oracus wondered how he had got there. The last thing he could recall was falling asleep by the fire in Thessley. Then he remembered Bandor waking him up. And then he remembered the door of his father's home being smashed off its hinges. Suddenly, a helplessness overcame him, and he realised there was a void in his mind where Bandor usually resided. For the first time in months, he was truly alone.

"Hello! Is somebody there?" he shouted. He got up from the bed and pushed hard against the door, but it didn't budge. "Where am I?"

There was no response from outside and Oracus banged his fists against the metal in frustration.

"Can somebody help me?" he tried. "I shouldn't be here!"

Still there was no answer, so he sat back down on the bed and pulled his knees under his chin like a young child.

For many hours, Oracus stayed on the bed and drifted in and out of sleep. By nightfall, his stomach was growling so loudly it was painful, and by the following morning, his head was hurting from worrying so much. He didn't know if he would ever be free again, and he had no way of finding out if Bandor was safe either. And what if Kivali and Quent were imprisoned too, or dead? Their fate would be down to him for suggesting they visit Thessley when it was entirely unnecessary.

From outside the cell, the sound of scuffing footsteps came. Then the heavy locks on the door began to clang and Oracus got fearfully to his feet. When the door swung open, he was faced with a creature that made him step back in disgust. It was as tall as a Human child, with no meat on its bones and long hands and feet. It had a crooked nose and two short fangs that crept over its bottom lip, and beady black eyes that narrowed under a savage scowl. The creature wore just a thin rag with string tied around its middle like a belt. And tucked inside the string was a sharp blade.

Oracus retreated some more as the creature approached him. It brought with it a terrible smell, and Oracus saw its pale skin was coated in filth, and there was an unnatural amount of dirt under its yellow fingernails.

"I hope you're enjoying your new home," the creature croaked. It placed a tray on the floor that carried a slice of mouldy bread and a bowl of lumpy grey soup. It then grabbed Oracus's arm and took a long, deep sniff. "Mmm, I love the smell of fresh meat!"

Oracus yanked his arm out the creature's hands and it cackled happily. It then hobbled from the room and locked the door behind it, leaving its awful scent lingering in its wake.

Oracus bent down and picked up the tray of food, but when he saw maggots crawling through the bread, he decided he'd prefer to starve than eat any. He took his place back on the bed and wondered why he had thought travelling to Tallarin would be a good idea. If only he had stayed in Afarra...

Another hour passed before the locks on the cell door were cranked open again. Oracus was expecting the same hideous creature to enter, but this time he was met by a man twice the size of any man he had seen before, with grey skin and cold yellow eyes, and a red cloak draped over his shoulders. Oracus gasped as the man stooped into the cell. He seemed to fill the room he was so broad and muscular, and there was a malevolence in his eyes that frightened Oracus.