Thirteen - Sparring With A Female

Oracus awoke to the sound of birds singing outside his window. It was early morning and a slither of sunlight was creeping through the window into his palace room. He had dreamt about Catania again, and now he was certain his dreams were actually visions. Catania was the Princess of Tallarin, the same woman who had been discussed during the meeting in the council room. He had seen her crossing endless desert with her Wolf, Alticon. They had been set free by the King and were returning to Tallarin.

Oracus sat up in his bed and looked at Bandor. Together, they had been in Afarra for several weeks now, and the Lavorian had grown to an impressive size already. When he stood up, he was as tall as Oracus's chest, and his mane was developing and beginning to shroud his face. But right now, he was curled into a small ball in the corner of the room, deep in sleep and completely peaceful.

Oracus and Bandor had been training their connection regularly and constantly speaking to each other through their minds since their arrival in Afarra. Through dedication and lots of practise, it became easier for them both to access each other's minds, and now Oracus could connect with Bandor without losing focus on his surroundings.

Oracus had also been sparring regularly with Garrin. At dawn almost every morning, they would meet in the sparring area and swing their swords at one another. For the most part, Garrin would be victorious, but occasionally Oracus would deal him a painful blow and put him on the floor.

But despite the successes in most aspects of his training, Oracus had managed no further development of his power. In fact, since throwing the goblet across the council room with his mind, he hadn't been able to access his power again, not even once. But it wasn't for the want of trying. He had attempted to move goblets at every meal-time since, and he had even sat in the airless council room until the heat began to send him to sleep, in the hope that it would awaken his power again. But so far, he'd had no luck, and it made him ever more frustrated.

In the corner of the room, Bandor fidgeted, and Oracus's thoughts returned to his dream about Catania. He'd discussed his previous dreams with his Lavorian quite regularly, so he was eager to share the latest one too. He focused on the Lion's mind and connected.

"Wakey, wakey!" he said.

Bandor's body remained still, but his mind stirred. "Morning," he replied.

"I've had another dream."

"About Catania?" Bandor assumed.

"Yes, the Princess of Tallarin..."

Bandor lifted his head and turned to Oracus. "She is the Princess?" he said out loud.

"She was travelling to Tallarin with Alticon," Oracus answered, returning the conversation to their minds. "The King is in control of her somehow, and he's sent her to Tallarin so he can rule the city through her."

Bandor thought for a moment, "And this dream felt as real as the others?"

"Even more real," Oracus said with a nod of his head.

"Then I think you should speak to Torvanon."

Oracus sighed, "I don't want to, Bandor. Whoever I tell will think I'm crazy – even Torvanon. The people here have been good to me. I don't want to ruin my relationships with them because I have strange dreams."

Bandor didn't reply but Oracus could sense he disagreed.

"I think the only way we can understand this is if we travel to Tallarin," Oracus claimed.

"You want us to travel there?" Bandor questioned. "We don't even know where it is."

"I know we don't, but I'm sure we'll find some answers there."