Chapter Thirteen: Where Are My Keys?

"Rise and shine!" Mason's voice rang out as he entered his bedroom, waking me from my peaceful sleep

"Rise and shine!" Mason's voice rang out as he entered his bedroom, waking me from my peaceful sleep. "It's time to get up!"

I groaned and hid my head beneath the covers, not ready to face the day just yet. He was without a doubt a morning person and I was nowhere close. That was something I had come to learn over these last few weeks of living with him. He was always up before the crack of dawn. I could usually hear him happily whistling in the kitchen before the sun had even begun to shine. Whereas I could sleep until noon if he'd let me. Which, of course, he never did. He was adamant that once my body got used to the change I wouldn't need as much sleep, but I wasn't too sure that I believed him at this point.

"Cheyenne, you can't hide under there forever." He chastised, his voice still warm and friendly as it always was despite the fact he was trying to reprimand me.

"I bet you I can." I shot back playfully, burrowing myself even deeper inside the heavy maroon comforter.

He chuckled, "You know you're not gonna win this one. Right?"

"Awfully confident aren't we?" I replied, "You're never going to get me out of this bed."

"Is that so?" He asked coyly.

Suddenly, I heard the sound of footsteps making their way around the bed and over toward where I was. I tightened my hold on the edges of the blanket, pulling them even tighter around me. Feeling safely cocooned, I anxiously awaited for his next move. It felt as though we were playing some weird game of predator vs prey. I couldn't help but fail to stifle a laugh as I wondered what was going through Mason's head.

The room grew still and eerily quiet. I nearly thought he left until I felt a pair of hands grab my sides. Before I even had a moment to react, he had yanked the blanket off the bed, taking me along with it. I hit the floor with a thud and cackling laughter as he tried to get inside the blanket burrito I had fashioned for myself.

"You'll never take me alive!" I yelled out, laughter following as he stood over top of me.

"Guess I've gotta do this the hard way." He said, just before his hands landed on my sides. Tickling me mercilessly as I tried my best to get away.

"No! No!" I shrieked, "You're cheating! You know I can't stand being tickled!"

"Are you gonna get up?"

"Yes!" I wheezed, tears now pricking in my eyes as I continued to laugh relentlessly.

"You promise?"

"I promise!" I squealed. "I'll get up! I'll get up!"

Satisfied with my answer, he finally stopped, his hands still resting firmly at my sides as he chuckled a bit. I took a moment to try and catch my breath. My stomach ached from all the laughter. That was something that was happening to me a lot recently. Not that I minded.