Chapter Fourteen: Nothing Lasts Forever

Sometimes I wondered what it would be like to be one of those girls that could brush their hair out gently with barely any tangles

Sometimes I wondered what it would be like to be one of those girls that could brush their hair out gently with barely any tangles. Just like the people you see on commercials. You know the ones where they get out of the shower and run a tiny little comb seamlessly through their hair with ease. Then when they're all finished a magical dove would land on their finger selling some sort of life-changing hair treatment. Yeah, I envied that girl in the commercial right about now.

In typical Cheyenne fashion, I had managed to get my hairbrush stuck in my hair. Not just a little stuck, it was a lot stuck. When I got out of the shower, I threw my robe back on and started on my makeup. Allowing my hair to air-dry a bit before I fixed it. I guess I let it dry a little too much. Now my brush was stuck in one of the tangles of my mane and I was struggling to get it out.

I huffed in frustration as I pulled on the brush one final time. It was useless. There was no way I was getting this thing out without either ripping all my hair out, cutting it, or having someone help me. Leave it to me to get myself in this sort of predicament right before we're supposed to be going out.

I mulled over my options. The idea of ripping or cutting my hair made me feel sick even thinking about it. Despite it being a major pain in my ass, I loved my hair and it took me forever to grow it out this long. I didn't want to damage it more than I already had. That meant that my only other option was to have some help getting it out.

Swallowing my pride, I took a deep breath before leaving the bedroom in search of Mason. As I walked into the hallway, I inhaled just slightly until I picked up his scent. That usual raw earth smell he normally had was somewhat different now. He had showered since I saw him last. Instead of smelling of cold forest rain, he smelled clean and fresh. Hints of his lightly sprayed cologne tickled my nose as I got closer. He didn't wear much of it, because too much was sensory overload for us. However, just a small amount here and there was perfect enough that we could enjoy it without it overwhelming our olfactory senses.

When I stepped into the kitchen, I spotted him leaning against the island with his back turned toward me. He was taking a slow sip of his coffee as he gazed outside through the windows. It had been a long time since I had seen him dressed up. He and I practically lived in lounge clothes these days, so it was nice to see him look the way he used to when we first met. It brought back a lot of happy memories. The jacket he had on now was the one he was wearing when he took me out for my birthday. I smiled, remembering back to that little pink cupcake with the candle stuck in it. Thankful that the wish I had made came true.

I was surprised he hadn't noticed me in the room with him yet. He must be deep in thought or something, because normally he'd sense me before I ever entered the room. I've caught him off guard. If this were a normal day, I'd use this to my advantage and try to surprise him. Of course, the one time I've got the upper hand is when I've got a stupid brush stuck in my hair.

"Mason?" I said as softly and sweetly as I could.

He turned to face me as soon as the words left my mouth, his eyes widening for just a second before they settled on my hair. A smile crept across his lips as he did his best to hold in his laughter.