Chapter Seventeen: A Warm Welcome

The drive up to Whitewater was a long and uneventful one

The drive up to Whitewater was a long and uneventful one. Mason and I spent most of yesterday packing up our things. Not that either of us had a lot, but the task still proved time-consuming. It took us even longer to say our goodbyes to the house we had called home for the last few months. After our final night there together, we loaded up our things in the trunk of his car and left early this morning.  

There was no denying how anxious and nervous both of us were. We continued to talk the entire way up, but the tension remained. Mason was just as worried about the pack's reaction to his return as I was about my own introduction. There was so much uncertainty about what awaited us that it left us on edge. 

The pack didn't know we were coming and I didn't know if that was a bad or a good thing. Surprises aren't always well received and I am fearful that ours might not be. I didn't know how Mason had left his relationship with all the others before he made the choice to leave. Had he burned those bridges the same way he did with his brother? Or did he leave without saying a word? 

To top all that off, I didn't manage to find Nyx again. She didn't visit me yesterday evening as she normally did and that left an uneasy feeling in the pit of my stomach. I wanted to bring her home, where she belonged. I didn't want Mason's brother thinking I had stolen her or something. The last thing I wanted was to start off with him on a bad foot. My only hope was that maybe Matthias wouldn't mention Nyx and me to him without giving me a chance to explain myself first.  

I truly didn't know what to expect and I knew that my head would explode if I kept trying to guess. Mason reassured me time and time again that everything would be okay, but I knew he was feeling uncertain too. The only thing he and I could do was be there for each other and hope for the best. 

His hand holding mine helped me relax during the drive, but that feeling went away as soon as I felt the tires drop off the pavement and continue on gravel. The dense wood that lined the road was nearly impossible to see through. Making it so that the driveway wasn't visible to anyone who drove by. To me, it seemed as though it was nothing more than an old logging road. That was until we were met by a large wrought iron gate and in the middle of that gate was the letter 'R', designed in the very same iron. 

"Holy shit," I whispered in disbelief, taken aback but just how imposing it was. 

"The gate was my dad's idea," Mason informed me as he reached up to press a button on the visor. 

With a loud creak and groan, the gate began to slowly open inward. The weight of it making the motors that operated it whine and struggle to move it. 

"I always wondered what that button did," I said offhandedly, watching as the gate finally opened fully. 

Mason chuckled breathily at my comment and shifted the car back into first gear before driving through. I turned around to watch as the gate closed behind us as we continued our way up the driveway. Mason's car kicked and spun gravel as we ascended the mountainside. The trees only seemed to get taller and thicker as we climbed. The forest was seemingly untouched, apart from a few random trails that broke off from the road.