Chapter Twenty-Three

Over the following weeks, Sydney's apartment takes on a warmer more lived in feel. Bucky picks out more items that he likes. The apartment is a miss match of items. Curtains. Rugs. Weird goat figurines, he has a really weird thing for goats and any item related to goats. But he likes them, so she allows them to stay, despite how creepy they are, and how many times she woken in the night to one of them looking at her. The roof is his true masterpiece and they spend a lot of time up there, even when it's cold, they take a blanket and sit under the stars together. This is where she finds him, sat in a lawn chair, a book in one hand, a soda in the other. She looks to the gift box in her hand and then approaches him. He smiles hearing her and then lifts his head to greet her, she leans closer and kisses his cheek.

"Happy birthday" she whispers warmly in his ear, he smiles. She sets a gift box in his lap and kisses him softly before taking the chair next to him. Bucky hums happily as he lifts the lid from the box. He is instantly smiles seeing the gift inside. He laughs as he pulls the t-shirt from the box, she smiles watching his face light up. The t-shirt is just a simple black tee with the words 'Easily distracted by Goats' printed on the front. It is perfect. Because it is true, whenever he sees anything goat related, he is instantly there and drooling over it. He doesn't even know where his fondness for goats even comes from, as far as he can remember he's never even seen one in person. Maybe it's just because they're so cute and fluffy and soft that they're so far from his life that he just...likes them. He looks at Sydney.

"This is great" he states and looks at Sydney. "You're amazing..."

"Yeah, I am...I'm enabling your goat fetish" he laughs and takes her hand.

"It is not a fetish" he argues, she raises an eyebrow at him.

"Did you go to the market today?" she asks him, he nods. "Did you, or did you not, bring home two more goat figurines?" he opens his mouth to argue and then closes it. "And the goat mug you brought home yesterday, and the tribal goat mask that's on our living room wall you brought home three days ago?"

"Okay, so I like goats" he defends, she smiles and squeezes his hand.

"Baby, I like goats, you have an obsession" He blushes a little, but she smiles fondly at him, it's actually something she likes about him, it's a cute, adorable side of him. He laughs a little and shakes his head.

"I will tone back the goats" he offers, she leans closer to him.

"No" she argues, he frowns and looks at her. "No, you like them, they make you happy, why would I take that away from you?" she asks him. "But just know...we have limited space, and please, no live goats" he chuckles and leans closer to kiss her.

"You know, I think we could make a little patch up here" he teases.

"James" she scolds with a smirk. "I swear, if I come home and there is a goat up here...." he laughs and threads his fingers through her hair.

"What?" he asks. "What will you do?"

"You will be sleeping with it and not me" she answers nudging him back, he chuckles and watches her as she stands and winks at him, he knows she's not serious, he also knows that he wouldn't take in a live animal, not whilst he is recovering still. Not yet. Maybe one day. Maybe one day they can find a house, with a garden, with enough space for a couple of goats. He moves the gift box to the floor and then grabs her wrist when she starts to leave, she raises an eyebrow looking back at him. He seems to be strengthening himself for something. He rubs his thumb over her wrist and takes a deep breath. He's ready now. He wants to tell her something. Something he has felt for a while. Something he's only ever told her when she's asleep. He nods to himself.

"I love you" he tells her, firmly, he's never been more sure of anything of that he is sure of.

"You love me?" she whispers, he nods. Her eyes soften and she sits in his lap, his arm wrapping around his neck. Her eyes never leave his. Her free hand touches his cheek. "I love you too" she tells him.

"You're not just saying that because I said it, are you?" he asks her, she shakes her head and smiles warmly at him.

"No" she answers. "No, I've felt it for a while, I just...didn't want to say it first" she shrugs a little. "I was scared"

"So was I" he admits. "It's been a very long time since I've been in any sort of relationship with a woman and I didn't want to seem like I was going to fast, I didn't want to ruin this" he nuzzles into her jaw and smiles. She loves him too. He feels a huge weight lifted from his shoulders. He knew she cared for him, but loving him is not the same, now he knows how she feels, it's a new step in their relationship. He brushes his lips over her jaw and sighs softly, his arms tightening around her. "As much as I love the shirt, and I do" he starts. "Hearing you tell me that, best birthday present" she turns her head, he presses his lips to hers.