Prologue

Diane 18 years' old

Oh. My. Gosh. I am totally freaking out. I see two pink lines on the pregnancy test I got from the pharmacy on my way home.

This could not be happening; it seriously has to be a joke or a prank. This pregnancy is going to cause huge problems. My boyfriend's parents want nothing to do with me because I'm "white trash" - and I'M EIGHTEEN!

My boyfriend Eric is twenty years old. We met the first time he came to visit his aunt and uncle in Newlands. He was fifteen; I was thirteen, and I guess it was love at first sight for both of us. We were inseparable whenever he would come to visit.

He asked me to be his girlfriend when I turned fifteen and as they say; the rest was history.

The reason his parents don't like me so much is that I'm apparently going to cost Eric his 'bright' future. This is absurd since Eric is the most focused person I know. I really don't know how to broach this subject to Eric, my grandparents and his parents.

"Hey, sweetheart," Eric answers.

I will tell him first since he is the father of the baby and all.

"Eric, can we meet up today...or tomorrow, but as soon as possible there's something we have to talk about," I tell him.

"What is it? Honey, you're scaring me." His voice frantic now and I need to calm him some.

"No, it's nothing to worry about" Well, it is if he doesn't want children, I think to myself.

"Okay well in that case, can we meet up some other time because I'm really busy today. Dad has me knee-deep in contracts I have to go over."

A part of me wants to tell him over the phone, but then his mother's voice comes back to me. She told me I would be a distraction to his son, and I don't want that. So, I decided to tell him once we meet face to face, whenever that is.

"Okay," I answer.

"I love you," he says through the phone.

"Love you too." I sigh. That went well.

The next week, on my way to school, a black SUV parks in front of me as I'm about to cross the road. A man dressed in a black suit opens the back door and Eric's mom, Mrs McKenzie, steps out.

"Diane, darling, how are you? Well not too good by the looks of it." She looks me up and down. I'm suddenly feeling very self-conscious. I guess she's referring to my dishevelled state since I have bags under my eyes because of the lack of sleep this past week.

"Hi Mrs McKenzie, I'm doing good," I say.

"Honey, why don't you step into the car for a minute, I want to have a chat with you." she doesn't even wait for my answer as she gets back into the car.

The driver escorts me to the other side of the car and opens the door for me.

As I enter, I say "Uhm... but we need to be quick because I have to be somewhere in thirty minutes."

"No problem, dear," she says with a fake smile on her face. I suddenly have a feeling of dread in the pit of my stomach.

"So, I have an offer for you," she says.

Now I'm really confused. So, I ask her, "What offer Ma'am?"

"Well, dear, I know of your little predicament," she says while looking at my stomach. Yeah, that feeling of dread is on full force now.

I try to act stupid, but it doesn't work.

"What predicament?"

"Oh, cut the crap little girl. Now, this is my offer, you will take that... that child of yours and leave this city. I'm giving you a chance to start over and also so that people won't judge you. You know how it is in this city, everybody knows everyone's business."