Chapter Seventeen

Jessica

Today we are taking are leaving for the summer break trip to Hawaii.

I've never been to Hawaii and I'm very excited, although the same excitement cannot be found in. When mom told him about my trip he grumbled the whole time about how he can afford to take me to Hawaii and I don't need some "boy" to take me.

To be honest that made me soften a bit towards him, not that I wasn't in the first place, but it showed me that he really cares for me and it's not because of the obligation that fathers have towards their daughters.

Eric decided to buy me a few clothes at my chagrin and by few, I mean that we came back with fifteen shopping bags. Mind you, we didn't just go to any store we went to the top stores that cost more than I've ever seen in my entire life for just a shirt.

Mom is sitting on the bed and urging me to take every single item that I bought with me. "But Mom, I don't want to seem to over eager. Besides where would I put them all." I raise my hands up.

"Uhm, try the five luggage bags that your father bought for you." she gives me a cheeky grin and

I see that her eyes are shining with happiness and as much as I don't want to admit it, it's because of Eric. I'm happy for her and I hope that Eric and I can get the same relationship someday.

"Yeah he decided to go a bit too far hey." I say to her.

"Yeah that's definitely his thing." She gets a wistful smile on her face.

"Has he always been like that?" I ask because I can see that she has gone back to the good ole days.

"Oh yeah, he was over the top. I can honestly say that I had never wanted for anything when I was with him and it used to annoy my parents to no end that he would always buy stuff that they should buy for me. Also, he was super protective of me, still is honestly." She says with a coy smile.

"Mom, you've been holding out on me girl. Are you two a thing now?" I ask playfully, this is what I've always loved about my relationship with my mother, that we could be like best friends instead of mother and daughter.

"Yeah, well, I don't know but he still treats me like he used to you know, like nothing has changed and I kind of like it. Honey he is a good man, you will love him once you get to know him.

What his mother did is just despicable, and I have no words to describe how much I dislike that woman for costing you the opportunity of growing up with your father and having siblings."

I see her wipe a tear and I say, "Mom, maybe it was supposed to happen this way and besides you can still have more kids you're only thirty-five."

She shrugs and hugs me, and I see that she didn't exactly deny that she could still have more kids and that just warms my heart because she deserves to be happy.

Max

"Bye mom." Both my brother and I say as we head out of the house to go and fetch our girls. We will be using one car, Brian's car, to travel to the airport with.

"Please be safe boys and take care of your girls, alright?"

Dad chimes in and hugs mom close to him, as usual, "Sweetheart, please stop worrying this is not the first time the boys have went away on summer break. Besides I have something that can get your mind off our boys leaving."

Dad wags his eyebrows up and down and, in that moment, he looks so silly. I really want to find something like that one day, I've already found the girl now I just have to get the ring on her finger.