Chapter Fifteen

Jessica

"What do you mean that you found your father?" Mom asks me in a deadly quiet voice. I am also shaken by this news, that Eric McKenzie just laid on me that he might be my father and that he wanted me.

"Mom I'm telling you that's what Mr. Eric said, and we share the same surname," I say the last part hopefully, but I'm also hoping that it's not true because that would mean that my mother lied to me my whole life about my father.

"Honey listen to me; it cannot be your father. He said in his own words that he didn't want us because having a baby so young would ruin his reputation." My mother is pacing up and down at this point, you can tell that she too is rattled by the possibility that this news brings.

"He said I had the same birthmark as his mother and niece though," I say

"No, no, no it can't be your father." She keeps shaking her head as if that would make the whole thing disappear, unfortunately, it won't mother, I think in my head.

I'm just as shocked and bewildered as my mother, everything that I've ever known and been told about my father might not be true. I always thought I knew exactly what I would say on the day that I met my father but, right now my mind is just a jumbled mess and I don't know what to think or make of this situation.

"Maybe if you have a picture of him you could show me, so I can confirm or deny his identity?" I ask my mother because I also want to get to the bottom of this.

"I don't have pictures of him." She says in disgust, ookay then there goes that idea.

"Okay, that's fine but there's another thing," I say, and I look down because I know that this will upset my mother,

"What is it?" she says with her hands on her waist.

"I kind of told Mr Eric that we could do a blood test to determine if I'm his daughter or not."

"Oh my gosh, why would you do that? I hope you didn't give him your address Jess." She says, and I guess the look on my face must tell her the answer to that question because she wails no and sits down with her head in her hands.

Just then we hear a knock on the door, and I yell, "Who is it?"

"It's Jeffery Jessy. There's a man out here claiming to be Eric and he says you know of him and his visit." Jeffery the guard at the gate says.

"Yes, Jeffery I know," I say as I head to open the door. For safety purposes, Mr Crompton has asked everyone on staff that they don't just open the door without asking who it is first and verifying the visitor's identity. I open the door and see Eric standing there, I'm confused as to what he is doing here.

"I couldn't wait until Wednesday. Can I come in?" he says.

"Uhm... yeah, uhm come in." I'm a bit reluctant to let him in just in case he is my father because I know that my mother kind of hates my father.

"What are you doing here Eric?" my mother says with an ice-cold voice, that I've never heard from her before.

"Di, you are looking beautiful as ever. What happened, why did you leave me?" Eric asks desperately, and I think I see tears in his eyes. I see the curtains moving from the main house and I know that's Ivy because her room is facing our house.

"Guys can we please take this inside because we might have spectators." My mother is about to argue but I silence her by saying, "You don't want your business to be known by every staff member, don't you mom?" I ask, and she begrudgingly agrees so I close the door after Eric has entered.

My mother doesn't even let him breathe before pouncing on him as soon as the door is closed, "You think you can just waltz in here as if you own the place after so long, huh Eric especially after what you did to us?"