Chapter Ten

Max

"Boys, I've summoned you here because I want to plan an anniversary party for your mother, it is our 35th after all." My father beams proudly.

Although, this is the same look he gets on his face whenever he talks about my mother. He told us that his greatest achievement was not his businesses but it was getting my mom to agree to be his.

"Nice, what do you need us to do?" Brian asks.

"Well, I need you two to make sure that your mother doesn't work herself too much in planning this," Dad replies.

I'm a bit confused because I thought he needed us to help because it was a surprise. Brian beats me to it though in voicing his thoughts,

"Oh, so it's not a surprise? Dad, you know that we can't stop mom from doing anything she sets her mind to doing."

This is true. However, Dad made her that way by giving and allowing her to do anything that she wants as long as its not harmful to her.

We have a party planner that we use for all our events and her name is Suzette. She is very good at what she does. That is until mom enters the picture, then my overachieving mother will do her job for her. Dad will then worry about my mother's health. After a whole chain of events will occur which results in mom giving dad the silent treatment. Its quite comical to watch really.

"You know Suzette won't be much help so that's why you've recruited us yeah?" I say knowingly even though I pose it as a question.

"That's why I paid those millions for your schooling Son, so you can use that clever brain of yours. But yes, Suzette is terrified of your mother. So I need you two to swoop in when you see that she has taken over the planning and is working herself tired. After all I don't need her tired at the end of the day, if you know what I mean." Dad says wiggling his eyebrows.

He and mom are always all over each other. While growing up we would be disgusted by it, but we have gotten used to it. However we draw the line when we have to see him groping her or mentioning them having sex.

I guess this is why the house has four sections. In the left wing is my parent's room downstairs and my bedroom upstairs. Then the right-wing is Brian's bedroom upstairs and the guest head quarters downstairs.

"No problem dad, we'll help when needed." Brian says, and I nod my head in agreement.

"That's what I like to hear. Thank you, boys."

"When is this party?" I ask.

"It's in four months. On the day of our anniversary, thank God that it landed on a Saturday this year, right?"

"Definitely." I say.

"Well I better take Tammi shopping then because she is going to need something to wear." Brian says thinking out loud.

I realize that I also have to invite Jess and I just know that she will want to fight me on it. That girl is stubborn as hell, but I still love her.

Wait, what? I just said I love her, I love her. Oh my gosh I love her, so this is what being in love is like huh?" no wonder Dad and Brian are always smiling and barely upset. Well, I'm glad to come aboard the love train. I'm starting to sound cheesy too.

I look at my calendar and am glad to see that exam time is still a bit far off. Now Jessica has no excuse when I invite her to my parents' anniversary party.

I decide to fetch her at school. Since I know her schedule as well as she knows mine I'm sure that she has no extra-curricular today. It's 14h30 which means school just let out, so I might catch her before she takes the bus. I decide to call in case she misses the message and she answers on the third ring,