Chapter Thirty-one

"Maka called me when we were at church " Genevieve said then she turned from the mirror to see if her husband was paying attention. He was looking at her, waiting for her to continue.

"She asked if Kamsi was here"

Venerable Nwachukwu laughed, "How can she be here? "

Genevieve was not amused. She carefully removed the pins that were used to hold her head gear in place.

"She actually said Kamsi has not been picking her calls. I also tried calling her but her number is not going through " she said.

The venerable stood up, took the packet of face wipes on the cupboard and began to clean off the foundation on his wife's face. This made her mouth which was formerly pushed out in a frown to retreat and broaden into a smile.

"There's no need for panic. She's alright. Did you call Mark? " he asked.

"That one is not helping matters. He said,  she went to work and has not returned yet. I called around seven this evening "

He dropped the wipes back on the cupboard and rubbed a hand on her Ghana braids .

"Don't think too hard . I'm sure she's alright " he said soothingly.

He returned to the leather sofa where he sat in his wife's room. He dialed Kamsi's number and waited for it to connect. It did connect but she did not pick up. He knew his wife would be mad worried and he could not say anything to ease her mind. He watched her unpack some books from her handbag.

"Will you eat before or after shower? " he asked.

"After, though I don't feel so hungry "

"I'll be waiting for you "

He stood up and left the room to bump into Onyedikachi who was singing as he passed the room.

"All my boys are ballers.. "

"Your songs never have meaning, this boy" Venerable Nwachukwu scolded.

"Daddy, they do" Onyedikachi said, laughing. " You just don't know the meaning "

"That's what you think until I surprise you one day "

The piercing alarm which was an indication of NEPA light was heard and Onyedikachi hurried to the change over switch before running outside to put off the generator. The silence in the neighborhood was restored.

Venerable Nwachukwu sat on a  cushion in the parlor beside Chisomaga who was watching a football match between two clubs.

"Go and put your mother's food " he told him.

The young boy got up immediately while he took the remote and changed the channel to CNN. He stared at the television for a while and within minutes,  he was snoring. It was an expected situation. Onyedikachi who had been sitting on a dining seat, walked up and took the remote. He changed the channel to ROK, a domain for Ghanaian movies.

"Who removed what I was watching? " Venerable asked, suddenly waking up and almost immediately, he went back to sleep.

Still pressing her phone, Genevieve enters into the parlour now all refreshed, wearing one of the ministry women polo and a wrapper secured firmly on her waist.

"She's still not picking up " She said before she realized her husband was sleeping.

"Who's not picking up? " asked Onyedikachi who loved to hear everything.

When she did not reply, he even followed her into the kitchen but couldn't ask anymore because Chisom had burnt the soup as usual.

"What were doing? " Genevieve asked, obviously angry.