Chapter Thirty Three

Some men never grow up, they just grow older- Mr Amari Soul

The sun was at its best at late November. Washed clothes took an hour or two to dry, depending on the nature of the fabric. Kamsi was enjoying that time of the year but not the sun or the heat that came with it but the clothes that dried in a short time . She loved to sit outside, on the balcony of the bungalow, reading one of the books from the Vicar's library.

It was Angels and demons Written by Dan Brown that she held in her hands that hot afternoon . She was wearing one of the flowered gowns her stepmother got for her. The gowns were sleeveless or with little teacup hands.. Perfect for the weather. While she read the book, she could not help being marvelled at how people that had almost stood without faith, all turned to God as a source of light in dark times. It was the nature of man, she thought. Man always would choose to be carefree until the going gets tough and without any other escape, the last source of light and hope remains God.

"but do you show up? " She questioned silently with her eyes shut and her head thrown back on the back seat.

Everywhere was silent and she too was silent like she waited for a response out of that silence. A response that would soothe her mind, a source of light in form of words.

"Yes. I always show up "

Those were the words her mind taught her to believe she heard because she was desperate for a response and she really laughed at that desperation because she had never heard from the divinity. She had never even prayed enough to hear from him so to her, it was impossible to get that response she hoped for then.

she opened her eyes and watched the movement of the tall Whistling pine that was outside the gate and maybe it did whistle or the wind had a sound. She watched it for a while, partially listening to the music from Idem's radio and his voice each time he joined a song, singing meaning far away from the song.

She was the only one at home. Genevieve had gone for her catering business, the boys were at school , the Vicar had a load of activities for each day so he was never home during day time .

She was about going inside when someone knocked on the gate. She sat back while Idem reduced his radio's volume waiting for the second knock and it did come almost immediately. He stood then and hurried to open the gate

"The mama! " He hailed, shifting for the guest to enter.

In came Maka holding a purse on one hand and carrying a small traveling bag on the other. Her eyes moved to the balcony but she immediately turned back to Idem.

"My guy, en don tey o. I didn't even know you would recognize me "

"Ah, I no dey forget fine face " Idem said, obviously proud of himself.

Maka opened her pause and handed him some money.

"Buy bread chop joor " she said, "You be better person "

"Mama you too much. You no go lack" he said, happily after accepting the money.

Kamsi watched as she gingerly walked to the where she was sitting, effortlessly swaying her hips like a thick model on runway.

"You should have been dead" Maka said.

Kamsi smiled, knowing the worries she had put her through.  She unlocked the bolt of the protector and let her in.

"Kamsiriochukwu, I did not even know you were alive. What sort of plan is this na." Maka continued.

"Maka, please sit down. It's a long story. It was not planned"