Chapter Thirty Seven

"We're actually missing the point  I'm desperately trying to make " Mark said.

He had returned the next day very early in the morning even before Onyedikachi and Chisom left for school, before anyone stepped out of the house. Nobody relayed details of the last meeting  to the Reverend so he decided not to leave early for work but stay back . He was wearing a white polo over his new track suit trouser. He sat back with a narrowed eyes set on  Mark waiting for him to make his point.

"We are focusing more on my response not what caused the response " Mark said.

"Does it mean that what caused your response was enough reason for you to lock her outside?" Genevieve asked then looked at her husband, "Like this is where I try to understand this but I fail "

Mark rubbed his hands together while the Reverend raised a hand to quiet her but she continued, "I was not this mad till he came yesterday and still thinks he did the right thing "

"Mummy, he has heard you. It's okay. He has heard you. Please go and give the boys money for lunch" The Reverend said.

Genevieve left the sitting room and the two were left in the silence. Reverend Nwachukwu was relaxed in his seat, had his legs stretched out infront of him his feet placed on top of the other, shaking them while with a hand, propping up his chin.

"Sir" Mark spoke, "If we should address this the way it should, you would note clearly that her attitude does not or did not speak good of a married woman. She was going to meet a man at night for Christ sake! " He finished off, his voice rising in frustration.

"Calm down, young man " He smiled knowingly at Mark. "let's  hope for all our sake that you do not trust the man she was going to meet and not that you do not trust your wife. If that's the case, you should have followed her for security reasons because you said, it was at night and anything could happen at night"

"Now" He said, sitting out, "Another thing that should have been considered is the time wasted outside. How long did she stay? " He paused, like he did while on pulpit, waiting for his audience to digest his point.

Mark remained silent, while he listened, he had an arm  on the cushion and the other on his thigh.

"But!" He said suddenly with a raised finger, "There's no way we look at this situation and we would praise your actions. You went too far, young man, you went too far "

"You said, that we fail to address the part the woman played and I refuse to be one sided so I would do that. I have spoken to her already and her mother has but let me also say this... Kamsi has always loved to draw. That landscape painting up there" He pointed to the wall, where there was a painting of the sun very close to the sea. "She did it "

"You said, it was late at night then open a shop for her so she doesn't have to sell after work hours. What I'm trying to do here is offer solutions. We have laid blames for so long and it's leading us no where. Even if Kamsi is wrong. You did a greater wrong. You should find some humility in you and apologize to that woman. "

He stopped speaking and held Mark's gaze for a while before Mark looked away and nodded.

"A wise man once said, the husband is like a king in his home but for peace to reign, he comes down from his throne and humbles himself to associate with his subjects "

When he stopped talking, he relaxed back into the seat. "Have you eaten? Have breakfast with us "

"No, thank you Sir, not just for the food but for your time " Mark said, pacifyingly.

"It's my job " The Reverend said, getting up, "As a father"

He walked to the window and peeped out to see if his car was washed and there were splashes of water all over the black Honda. He then turned back to Mark, "Let me show you to your wife's room "