Chapter 25

Chapter 25
Jenny's POV

"There's something off about Parker," I say and Allison gives me a questioning look from the other side of her couch.

"What do you mean? I thought things were all perfect and wonderful between you now," she says in an incredibly sarcastic tone, making roll my eyes.

"Maybe tone the sarcasm down a little? I get that you still don't approve but as my best friend can't you just be happy that I'm happy for once?" I ask and she looks at me with a raised brow.

"Are you happy? Like right now are you happy?" she asks and I take a second to think.

"Well, I mean..."

"That's what I thought," she says and I sigh.

"It's not that I'm not happy... I'm just confused. When I spent the weekend with her, things were so amazing and I was so incredibly happy... but ever since that weekend I feel like she has been kind of distant, like she is avoiding me. Maybe it's just my imagination, I don't know," I say sadly.

Over the last week I have felt like Parker has been drifting away from me a little. It was hardly noticeable at first but after a couple of days I started to really feel like she was pulling away more and more. She hasn't been ghosting me but she seems to be ignoring most of my texts and phone calls. When she does answer her replies are always brief. If I text her and ask her if she wants to hang out she replies with I can't or I'm busy. She hasn't been coming to see me after class or school. When I do talk to her she seems normal but again, our interactions are short. We've barely even kissed since that weekend.

But again, it's only been a week so I don't want to read too much into anything, though there's no denying that something is off with her. I just have no idea what.

"You want to know what I think?" she asks and I frown.

"I don't know, am I going to hate what you think?" I ask and she shrugs.

"Most likely."

"And you still want to tell me what you think?" I ask with a raised brow.

"I don't want to but I think you need to hear it," she says and I sigh as I think for a second.

"Go ahead. Say whatever you need to say," I tell her.

"I think that the reason you were so blissful and happy together the other weekend was because her girlfriend was out of town, but now that she's back things are different again. You only get the girl who cooks you romantic dinners and spends magical weekends with you when her girlfriend isn't in town," she says and I frown.

"I do hate what you think," I say and she looks at me sadly.

"But do you think I'm wrong?" she asks but I don't respond.

I don't know what to say because some part of me thinks she may be right which I really don't want her to be. I started to notice these changes in Parker after Raegan came home. At first I thought it was kind of a given that we obviously couldn't have the same level of intimacy we did over the weekend now that Raegan was back but it's been more than just a little lacking. It occurred to me that maybe I was just comparing things to that weekend too much, she set the bar so high that of course anything less would seem lacking.