Chapter 47

Chapter 47
Raegan's POV

I take a deep breath before ringing the doorbell. I wait a minute and am about to ring it again when someone finally answers the door.

"Who are you?" a middle-aged woman I don't recognize asks the second she sees me.

I smile politely at the woman. "Hello, my name is Raegan. I was wondering if Gloria was home," I say and the woman eyes me for a second.

"She is. May I ask what it is you want?" she asks and I smile politely.

"I want to talk to Gloria," I say and the woman nods in acknowledgment.

"Well, she is busy at the moment," she says in a dismissive tone.

"I'm happy to wait inside until she is not busy," I offer as I take a step forward but the woman shakes her head and moves so she is blocking the doorway completely.

"Maybe you should just come at another time."

"It's actually a little important that I talk to her as soon as possible," I say and the woman looks at me with a raised brow.

"Then why don't you just call her?" she asks rather rudely.

"Why don't you just let me in?" I ask and the woman silently scoffs.

"I think we are done here," she says as she tries to close the door on me.

I immediately reach out with my hand and stop her from closing it. "I'm afraid we won't be done until I speak to Gloria," I say as I look back at the woman. "I'm assuming you are Stephanie, correct? Why don't you go get Gloria and tell her I would like to speak with her for a moment," I say and the woman glares at me.

"Steph, who is at the door?" Gloria suddenly calls.

"Never mind," I say and step back when I see Gloria appear in the doorway.

"Raegan?" she asks in surprise when she sees me standing in front of the door.

"Hello, Gloria," I say with a small smile.

"What on earth are you doing here?" she questions.

"I came to talk with you, but your sister refuses to let me in," I say and she frowns.

"I really don't think it's a good idea for us to talk. I don't have any idea what you even expect to say," she says and I nod.

"If you just allow me to come in, I would be happy to tell you," I say and I see Stephanie roll her eyes.

"I think she made it very clear that she doesn't wish to speak with you. So if you would kindly remove your hand from the door and leave this property before we have to call the police," she says threateningly and I silently laugh.

"Yeah, I'm not going to do that," I say as I turn to look back at Gloria. "Just give me ten minutes of your time and I will leave and never bother you again if that is what you wish," I say a little pleadingly. She takes a few seconds and silently looks at me before sighing.

"Fine," she says to me before turning to Stephanie. "Let her in."

"Are you sure about that?" Stephanie asks her sister skeptically. "I will happily call the police if she refuses to leave," she says and Gloria shakes her head.

"Just let her in so she can say whatever it is that she needs to say and then leave. There's no need to call the police," she says to Stephanie who looks at her for a moment before reluctantly opening the door.

I enter the house and follow the two women into the living room. They both sit on the couch and while I go to sit on the chair to the side of it.

I put my purse by the chair before turning a little so I'm facing them. I look towards Stephanie and smile politely. "Would you mind giving us some privacy, please?" I ask and she stares at me defiantly.