Chapter 27

Chapter 27

I have been back in Korea for a few days and it's been a bit of a weird adjustment. I've experienced quite a bit of culture shock even though I lived here for six years and have only been gone for a few months.

It took a day or two but I have started to readjust. Once the jet lag wore off I just got back into my normal routine. Before we left I turned in all my papers for school and contacted all my teachers and told them I wouldn't be attending the last week... all except for Jenny that is. I didn't tell her I was leaving, and I had Kacey turn in my paper for me on Monday. The best part of this trip is that I get to put off seeing Jenny for a while.

My therapist, who I made an appointment to see the second I got back in the country, warned me that I can't avoid it forever and I know she's right. Eventually I'm going to have to see Jenny, but I'm still not ready.

Originally the plan for this trip was to just come for a week and a few days and be home by Christmas, but I asked Raegan if we could extend it a little longer after all and she said yes. Gloria of course invited us to her house for Christmas and I would love to go, but after what happened with Jenny I know that I shouldn't. Going would just ruin everyone's Christmas and I don't want to do that. So instead it will just be Raegan and I.

Raegan is taking Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and even the 26th off and we fly home on the 27th. So we will get to be together, just the two of us, which will be really nice. We have actually spent quite a bit of time together already on this trip. She started working like the second we got off the plane but she has been coming home at more reasonable hours.

I check the weather on my phone one last time and sigh. One thing I definitely do not miss about Korea is the cold winters. It's below freezing and the nearest subway station from my family's house in Seoul is a fifteen minute walk at least. I really want to go to the gym because exercising has always been a way I have managed my anxiety but it's so fucking cold.

I groan as I grab my winter coat from my closet and put it on before picking my gym bag off the floor and heading down stairs. I go to put my shoes on in the genkan, this little area in the entryway of the house where you take off your shoes before walking inside the main part of the house. After I finish tying my shoes I put on my gloves and scarf, readying myself to brave the cold. Just a few months in California has softened me.

As I walk out the front door and down the path to the gate I'm second guessing this decision to leave. It's so cold that I'm kind of surprised it's not snowing or hasn't since we have been here. Maybe I should call a cab instead of walking to the subway.

Seeing as I already made it this far I decide to persist. When I open the main gate I see a group of people standing outside near a large van.

"Oh. Annyeonghaseyo," one woman greets me with a deep bow when she sees me walk out.

"Annyeonghaseyo," I greet back with a bow.

"My name is So-hyun Kim. Do you live here?" she asks in near perfect English. She barely has an accent, I can tell she has probably spent time abroad.

She obviously assumes I'm a foreigner, which I guess I am and is probably why she is skipping a few steps in the introduction process and is just getting to the point.

"Ne. Je ireumeun Parker Kwan imnida. Eotteohge dowa deulilkkayo?" Yes. My name is Parker Kwan. How can I help you? I reply in Korean and her face lights up.