022

Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.

- Dr. Seuss

HER

"HELLO!!......ANYBODY THERE!!!!....... HELP ME!!!!!!" I shouted into the darkness as I pulled against the rope binding my wrist behind to the back of the chair I was tied to. "HELP!!!!" I tried again.....

......and again

.......and again

......and again but nothing.

It felt like days before I heard the sound of a door open letting light enter the room, highlighting the silhouette of the person that entered conveniently hiding the face but I had a strong idea who it was.

"Who is it? What do you want with me?" I asked pulling against the rope harder

"Isn't this a sight to behold, the high and mighty Adrienne Donovan helpless and at my mercy" he said stepping into the light. Lucas

"Why am I here?" I asked pulling on the rope again, hoping for a miracle, they should have realised I was missing by now.

"Oh, I shouldn't be telling you this but I will anyway. My company is bankrupt and I need this deal with your company to go through. With you out of the way, that wont be a problem" he said coming behind her and twirling a lock of her hair around his finger.

"12.5 million wont do anything to keep your company afloat" I said trying to keep the venom out of my voice in hopes that he'd let me go

"I don't need to keep the company afloat, no. I just need to pay everyone for this last month then I'll fold up the company . I need 8 million to pay my whole staff and the rest to keep living comfortably. I might buy some stock here and there to have some back up money too"

I cant believe I was once in love with this maniac.

"But I don't like the idea of hurting you"

"If forcing chloroform into my system and tying me up isn't your idea of hurting me then I wonder what is" I said not bothering to keep the sarcasm out of my voice.

He grabbed my hair harshly pulling my head forward squatting so the was facing me directly "Your sharp tongue was one of the things I liked about you" he said moving his head closer to mine as if he was coming in for a kiss so I pulled my head back and used it to hit his forehead with force once I felt him loosen his grip.

He stumbled back holding his forehead in pain, an action I would have replicated if my hands weren't tied behind my back. "You maniac" he shouted

"Are you really in the position to be calling someone a maniac? " I asked tauntingly in spite of the pain. I always thought people that got kidnapped in movies were stupid to taunt their captors but I get it now - its fun.

"You listen to me b**ch- " he started but before he could continue I spat on his shoes

"No you listen, you can tie me up and yank my hair but DONT YOU DARE CALL ME A Bi-" I was silenced by his hand hitting me across my face.

"Looks like you're not ready to play nice, I'm going to leave you here without food or water until you learn some manners" he said before going out the same way he came in and locking the door 3 times from what I heard.

I waited 5 minutes before executing the poorly thought plan I just came up with. I used the heel of my foot to push the chair back and closed my eyes as it fell backwards. Upon making impact with the floor it broke while doing damage to my back, I got up removed the now free ropes and looked 'round for anything I could use to escape when something caught my eye in the top corner of the room. A window. I wonder how that escaped me before. The room wasn't that high so I got to work pushing the table that was in the middle of the room directly below the window. I kept glancing at the door hoping he didn't come back before I made my escape.

2 minutes later I was on top of the table and face-to-face with the window which turned out to be a glass pane and not a window in fact. So it was either I broke this window fast or wait for that psychotic man to come back and find me here. The former seemed like a better bet. I forcefully hit my elbow against the glass but it was too soft, I didnt wanna lose my balance but then I heard a sound come from the door and I threw all caution away and crashed my elbow into the glass sending shards flying everywhere. The door swung open just as a big shard made a slit in my upper arm drawing blood.

"What the heck!!!!??!?" He shouted once he entered the room running towards me leaving me with no chance to clear the glass at the edges. I used my palms to grip the edges drawing more blood from my palms and hoist myself up before he pulled the table making my tower fall below me. Using the upper body strength I didn't know I had I hoisted myself up, the adrenaline in my system numbing the pain from my bleeding palms momentarily. I didn't look to the ground outside before letting go and falling hitting the hard ground with a thud. There were people on the road some seemed to have already stopped after hearing the glass break making my escape easier. I took off in a sprint towards the north because I had no idea where this place was but anywhere was better than with that psycho . I kept running and running not looking back for fear that she was following me and only began to slow down when I heard sirens. A police car pulled over in front of me and I finally calmed down, the adrenaline high died down and my body finally reacted to the blood loss I had experienced. I heard my name called multiple times as black dots clouded my vision for the second time in the last 24 hours.

HIM

It felt like a nightmare and dream when we heard the news over the police radio from the police car we accompanied to get Alexandria back. "Attention to all units, Miss Donovan has been found,I repeat Miss Donovan has been found. Requesting an ambulance at 471 mulberry drive. Several cuts on the arms and palm."

I don't know if it was just me but it seemed like the man at the wheels started driving slower when we got to the address given we were told that the ambulance had just left and at what hospital they were taking her to. They were gracious enough to give us a ride to the hospital and Tristan had already called the rest of the family to give them the update and tell them where to meet them.

"What room is Alexandria Donovan in?" I asked the woman at the reception

"Family?"

"Yes" I lied to avoid any further delay I needed to hold her to see her with my own eyes before I could calm down

"Room 75"

"Thank you" I practically sprinted down the hallway and took the stairs when the elevator did not open immediately. I didn't bother to knock when I got there, bursting through the door. The sight in front of me broke my heart yet brought me life at the same time. She was laying in the bed whether asleep or unconscious i wasn't sure with her two hands bandaged along with her upper arm and tiny cuts marred her beautiful skin, some on her face and others on her arm. I moved closer to the bed careful not to wake her up and just stood there looking at her face trying to imprint every nook and cranny, eyebrow and freckle into memory, my hand went to her face removing a strand of hair and tucking it behind her ear before leaning down a placing a lingering kiss on her forehead.

Tristan was outside the room talking to a doctor who was explaining her situation "...serious, she just lost some blood and physically exhausted herself.We'll keep her for a few hours and pump some glucose into her, when the blood test comes back we'll decide if her blood count is low and administer blood tonics but it's not so bad that we'll need a blood transfusion"

"Thank you doc"he said giving the man a cue to take his leave

"Now what?" I asked

"Now, we wait"