four.

04

A NIGHT IN THE MAZE

⋆﹥━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━﹤⋆

Alby was unconscious and bleeding. His arms were draped over Minho and Rosa's shoulders as they tried to carry him back to the Glade and away from the Griever that they had encountered. Minho was chanting in a way, trying to get them both to pick up the speed; but they couldn't, not with Alby's dead weight pulling them down. Every so often, Rosa could feel the blood from Alby's wounds drip on her. She felt guilty, to say the least.

It was her fault, she usually did this alone and it was different with Alby and Minho hot on their trail. So when she had found a Griever, she tried to attack it with her device. She had lodged her spear within the joints of the Griever, but it didn't work. It was as if this one was different, newer and improved than the ones she had witnessed. The bolts looked tighter, the metal wasn't as rusted and scratched and the legs looked longer and sharper. So when it had attacked her instead, Alby sacrificed himself. And in return, Rosa delivered a hard blow to his head to render him unconscious.

The Grievers roared from within the Maze and the wind came with it. Through the floor of the maze, she could feel the clogs moving to shut the entrance; just as they could see it. At the end of the Glade, she could see all of the Gladers shouting at them to hurry up. No one was shouting louder than Chuck, tears forming in his eyes at the thought of losing Rosa and Alby.

Exhausted, Minho fell over; pulling Alby and Rosa with him. He turned to look at her; "You need to go! At least one of us should get out of here!" he screamed at her, ready to give up.

Minho knew that she wouldn't but he still hoped that she would surprise him, they both got up and began to pull Alby's body with them. The limited light from the Glade began to disappear as the entrance got closer to sealing shut in front of them.

They both looked up to see Thomas running through the almost shut wall and then landing on his knees in front of them both.

Rosa stared at him, finding it ridiculously dangerous what he had just done; but Minho spoke up, taking the words right out of her mouth, "Good job. You just killed yourself."

Thomas looked dumfounded, he crawled over to Alby. "What happened to him?"

Minho looked over, panting due to them having carried Alby's body for half of the day, "What does it look like? He got stung."

"But, what happened to his head?" he asked, looking to the gash above his eyebrow.

Rosa spoke up for the first time in his presence, "I did what I had to do."

But then Minho began to stand up, still shocked to hear her voice for the first time in over two years, "We need to leave, the Maze is already changing." He had forgotten how rasped and melodic it sounded, the bruises around her throat making her words strained.

"I am not leaving Alby here for the Grievers to finish him off!" Rosa replied, already beginning to pull Alby up by his arms, Thomas soon joined her as they began to walk through the Maze with Minho trailing behind them.

As they trecked through the Maze, the Griever screeched once more. Minho began to panic as he did previously. "We gotta go, we gotta go. This isn't going to work," he whispered, trying to make sure that the grievers couldn't hear him.

As Thomas and Minho argued behind her, Rosa looked around for a place that she could hide Alby's body so that they could retrieve it later or when the Maze had opened up for them. And then it came her, Grievers weren't as good as climbing as they were at running. Thomas seemed to pick up on it too because he wouldn't stop staring at the vines hanging from the Maze walls.