eleven.

11

WICKED

⋆﹥━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━﹤⋆

Rosa could feel Thomas' hand still around her waist as he pulled her up, a door opening behind them. Teresa pushed it open, being the first one to step into the blinding white light. Rosa pushed through several Gladers to reach Chuck, pulling him close to her in case there was any sudden danger; she had not made it this far, only to lose him as soon as she could taste freedom.

A series of clanking sounded, a trail of lights started to illuminate the hallway. Thomas now at Rosa's side. The Gladers, of what was left of them, banded down the corridor cautiously. They stopped in front of another door, a green 'EXIT' sign appeared above it.

Rosa heard Frypan mutter behind her in anger with a scoff, she lightly smiled as Thomas carefully opened the door to reveal a hall. Three bodies in labcoats lay on the floor, unmoving, as an alarm softly blared above them. Chuck took Rosa's hand in his own, hiding behind her almost.

They slowly entered the hall, Rosa's eyes set on blood splatters on the walls. She turned her head to the other side, through the glass she could see two covered, bloody bodies on metal tables. No one dared speak, in case one of the dead bodies weren't actually dead. Rosa kicked a handgun away from one of the bodies hands and carried on to walk.

The next room was filled with computers and even more bodies, "So, they were watching us," Newt spoke up, breaking the silence, "This whole time."

Rosa made eye contact with Teresa through the glass, both of them turning to Thomas who pressed a red button, a video playing on a large screen.

Rosa knew the face to be her mother, Thomas and Teresa turned to Rosa as she stepped closer to it.

"Hello. My name is Dr Ava Paige. I'm director of operations of World Catastrophe Killzone Department. If you're watching this, that means you've successfully completed the Maze Trials," The Gladers circled around the monitor, Thomas and Chuck standing next to Rosa who stared at it with watery eyes, "I wish I could be there in person to congress you, but circumstances seem to have prevented it."

Behind Ava Paige in the video, her employees stood up, all confused and scared as an alarm blared, but she didn't stop talking. Rosa felt as if the doctor's eyes were seeing right through her; "I'm sure by now you must all be very confused, angry, frighted. I can only assure you that everything that happens to you, everything we've done to you, it was all done for a reason. You won't remember, but the sun has scorched our world. Billions of lives lost to fire, famine, suffering, on a global scale," images of the sun, fire and news reports flashed on the screen, "The fall out was unimaginable. What came after was worse. We called it the Flare."

She continued, images of bodies, blood and cells appeared, "A deadly virus that attacks the brain. It is violent, unpredictable, incurable. Or so we thought. In time, a new generation emerged that could survive the virus. Suddenly, there was a reason to hope for a cure. But finding it would not be easy. The young would have to be tested, even sacrificed, inside harsh environments, where their brain activity could be studied. All in an effort to understand what makes them different. What makes you different. You may not realise it, but you're very important. Unfortunately, your trials have only just begun. As you'll no doubt soon discover, not everyone agrees with our methods. Progress is slow, people are scared. It may be too late for us, for me, but not for you," Rosa's eyes widened at the sight of armed guards coming in and shooting down workers, she stepped forward once, "The outside world awaits. Remember, Wicked is good."