fourteen.

14

VENTS

⋆﹥━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━﹤⋆

Rosa and the other Gladers were thrown into their room, the guards being extra rough with Rosa as she was dragged through the halls, throwing insults and comments at them harshly. The door was locked behind them, all of the Gladers turning to Thomas and Rosa.

"What the hell was that about?" Minho asked, his eyes going wide.

"You didn't really think that they were just going to let you through, did you?" Newt scoffed, shaking his head at their antics.

"No, of course, I didn't," he grinned, pulling out the guard's key card, "I'm going to find out what is on the other side of that door."

The boys around them sighed, "Newt, they are hiding something. Okay? These people are not who they say they are."

"No Thomas," Newt started, walking towards him, "You don't know that. The only thing that we do know, is that they helped rescue us from WICKED. They gave us new clothes, they gave us food, they gave us a proper bed. Some of us haven't had that in a long time, some of us, a lot longer than others."

Rosa chuckled dryly, "Newt, no one has been deprived of that longer than I have. Three years I was in that Maze, three years I watched as the people I grew to love were killed and three years of being lied to. It ends now, I need to know if what Thoams and Aris said, is true. And if it isn't, we can just forget about it."

The Gladers were interrupted by the loud clanging of metal, the grate of the vent being thrown out from under Thomas' bed and a small head pocking out from underneath; "Hey Thomas," Aris said, "You got it?"

He nodded, "Let's go," he looked up at the Gladers as he began to climb into the vent, "Look, maybe you guys are right and I am just being paranoid, but I have to find out for sure. Just cover for me and we will be back as soon as we can."

Rosa shared the same confused look like the other Gladers, "Cover for me too."

She pulled her way through the vents behind Aris and Thomas, none of them saying anything to each other. 

Rosa jumped down first, feeling a sting in her wound, and landed silently on the marble flooring. She waited for Aris and Thomas to join her, glancing down both ends of the hallway to make sure that they were alone and couldn't be caught. 

Thomas swiped the access card on the door and watched as it opened to reveal a dark room, the only lighting coming from the blue hue that entered through a window on their right. She peered through the glass and into several tubes filled with the blue water that held the Gladers before they were placed into the Maze and monsters. They looked like large aliens in the tubes and had gills. 

Another door opened, only now the room wasn't filled with creatures, it was filled with row upon row of the teenagers that they were told were going to a better place. The teens were hooked up with tubes and wires that held them suspended in the air, one of them having the same long, brunette curls as Teresa.

Thomas ran towards the figure, pushing the hair out of her face and sighed when he realised that it wasn't her. But Aris knew her, "It's Rachel. They took her the first night. I told her that she was going to be okay."

Rosa's heart shattered, her hand rising to sit on his shoulder. All three of them turned, the doors opening as Janson and a guard walked in, "Are you sure that this can't wait?"