nineteen.

19

CRANK TUNNEL

⋆﹥━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━﹤⋆

"Rosie!?" Thomas called out, coughing loudly as he searched around in the darkness for Rosa, "Brenda?"

"Tommy-" she coughed, a bright light blinded Rosa as she squinted to see Brenda checking her over before she did the same to Thomas.

"Are you okay?" Brenda asked, using the torch to look around the room.

"Oh, yeah, great," Thomas replied, wiping the dust from his eyes so that he could see.

Rosa let her hand roam over her limbs to check for any injuries that she might have missed, a sigh leaving her lips when the only pain came from her previous bullet wound; "I feel like I was hit by a ton of bricks- oh wait."

Thomas would have laughed if it wasn't for their situation, "No, no. How are we going to get back to the others?"

"Relax. I'm gonna get us out of here," Brenda replied, watching as Rosa stood up and groaned whilst she stretched her legs out, she passed a torch to both of Rosa and Thomas, "Here."

She thanked her quietly before turning it on and searching around the pile of rubble and the dusty space behind them, she pulled Thomas up and turned to Brenda, suddenly all of her walls were up, "Why are you helping us?"

"Trust me, it's not my idea," she replied, "Jorge seems to think that you guys are our ticket to the safe haven."

Thomas and Rosa shared a confused glance, "You know, paradise. Safe from the sun, free of infection. Supposedly the Right Arm has been taking kids there for years. Immunes anyway."

Rosa felt her eyebrows furrow, that was never her plan or intention. She wanted the Right Arm to invoke a rebellion, fight back against WICKED so that everyone was free. She hoped that they would save as many as they could on the way, not hide in the shadows. A lot had changed since she had been in the Maze, and it was only just hitting her how severe these changes were.

"And you know where that is?" Thomas asked as he brushed the dirt off his sleeve. 

"No. But Jorge knows a guy. Marcus," Brenda's torchlight skimmed over Rosa's muddy, bruised face for a split second and almost blinded the girl, "He used to smuggle kid's into the mountains. If Jorge made it out-" she pulled a metal grate from the ground with a grunt, "That's where he'll be taking your friends."

"If he made it out?" Thomas and Rosa questions at the same time, quickly glancing at each other before looking back down at Brenda who still fumbled with the metal grate.

"You know what?" she asked, finally looking up at the two, "You ask a lot of questions. Can you just come over here and help me with this?"

Rosa nodded and limped over, followed by Thomas, as they helped Brenda lift the heavy, metal grate. They all pulled on it, Rosa wincing which resulted in getting cautious looks from the other two, she shrugged it off before she gave the grate one last pull to open it up.

Screaming echoes through the tunnel that they had just opened up, "Well that doesn't sound good," Thomas remarked.

Brenda shoved her hand into her bag and pulled out a small injection from an almost empty medical kit and handed it to Rosa, "It's morphine, to help with the pain. It will last a few hours and we don't know what is down there."

Rosa nodded and pulled up her sleeve to reveal the bruising bullet wound, she was right, one of her stitches had been ripped open and opened the wound. Brenda was about to ask questions, but Thomas shook his head, knowing that it will only bring up memories of Chuck getting shot. She quickly injected the skin around the wound and chucked the needle to the side, "Okay, are you ready?"