thirty four.

34

CRASH LANDING

⋆﹥━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━﹤⋆

"Okay, that's them, we've gotta go," Thomas informed the others, watching as the helicarrier floated through the sky. He leaned down to pull Newt to his feet with Minho's help but Newt pushed away from his friends, blood dripping down his chin with a black pigment.

"Just go without me," he coughed out, blood spitting from his nose and mouth to the ground, his breaths becoming ragged and deep, most likely due to the blood filling his lungs.

Rosa pulled her hair back, trying to think of a way that could keep Newt alive at all costs, "He won't make the move. Minho, you need to go ahead and run back with the serum, okay?"

The girl turned to Gally, nodding to him to tell him that he would need to go with Minho to protect him, leaving Thomas and Rosa to help Newt in any way that he needed. "Hey, you just hang on, you hear me?" she could hear Minho from behind her, her brain feeling weak.

They all watched as the two ran into the gunfire, Gally protecting both of him with his weapon. Rosa turned to see her friend gasping for breath and almost failing, she took his hand in hers and squeezed it gently, "Newt? Can you hear me?"

His head rolled back, alerting the couple, "Newt? Are you okay?" Thomas shook his body, finally getting a response, "We need to move, now!"

"No!" he shouted back, trying to push his friends away from him but failing, "Thomas!" Newt quickly pulled a necklace from around his throat and tried to shove it in his friend's hands, "Take this! Take it!" he screamed in Thomas' face, shutting the boy up for good, "Please, Tommy, please."

Rosa felt a sob almost leave her lips at the sight of her best friend, for years they had not talked to each other. She had saved him in the maze but kept her distance, always watching from a far and making sure he wouldn't try it again. But since Thomas have her the courage to be herself again, they hadn't stopped. Not once. And the thought of never getting to speak to him again scared the living hell out of her. She hated herself for throwing years of friendship down the drain.

"Come on, we can't give up now," she wiped her tears and helped her boyfriend pull their injured friend up. Both taking one arm over their shoulders and ran into the streets, people and soldiers alike running and shooting. The fire burned brightly beside them, lighting up Newt's neck to show the purple veins that climbed his skin relentlessly, not giving up.

The three managed to make it off the busy streets and to a more derelict area, the orange light no longer on their faces instead it was a soft blue glow from the building above. "No!" Rosa called out as Newt fell from their grasp, landing on the floor with his body sprawled out.

She placed her head on his chest, her hair covering his shirt as she listened to his heart and breathing, both were taking a turn for the worse. "We need to move, now!" she screamed at her boyfriend and tried to pull Newt closer to the helicarriar. The two struggling more than ever to pull him to safety.

"Thomas-" a loud voice, instantly recognisable as Teresa, filled the streets from speakers all throughout the city, "Can you hear me? I need you to listen to me, Rosa too. I know you both have no reason to trust me, but I need you to come back. Thomas, Rosa, you can save Newt. There's still time for him. There's a reason Brenda isn't sick anymore, its the mixture of the enzymes in your blood. Do you understand? She isn't sick because you cured her. She doesn't have to be the only one. All you have to do is come back and this will all finally be over. Please, just come back to me. I know you'll do the right-"