Chapter 3

He was at a loss for words. In front of him was Uraraka with a cake and a present for him. Never in a million years would Izuku have seen that coming. He had no idea how to react so he was left gaping at her like a fish. That was pretty much how he felt at that moment, like a green-haired fish out of water. Izuku tried to say something, say anything, but he barely managed to make a sound. Tears had gathered in the corner of his eyes and Uraraka was waiting for his response, head tilted slightly.

"I'm-I'm..." Come on! Say something! She brought you a freaking cake, at least thank her! Izuku's mind was going into overdrive, but he just couldn't get any words to pass his lips. He tried to calm down and speak properly, but his hands were shaking and the tears were blurring his vision.

"Are you okay?" Uraraka asked him. She had expected him to be surprised, but she wasn't prepared for the tears that were starting to fall from Midoriya's eyes. Had she upset him by suddenly declaring that they would celebrate his birthday? No, that couldn't be the case. Midoriya wouldn't get upset over someone else doing something nice for him. Unless... He wasn't upset, but touched by her gesture. That would make sense. From what she had gathered the past few months, Midoriya hadn't had many friends before high school and she wondered if anyone aside from his mom had celebrated with him before.

"I just... It's the first time someone has wanted to celebrate me. I'm so happy...You didn't have to..." Izuku finally managed to choke out. He couldn't believe that Uraraka had done something so nice for him. She was looking puzzled at first, but then a small smile formed on her face and her eyes softened.

"Happy belated birthday, Deku-kun!" She passed him the small package and encouraged him to open it right away. She wanted to see his reaction when he saw what she had picked out for him. The choice had been easy. What better to get a hardcore hero fanboy than some good, sturdy notebooks for his hobby?

The sound that left Izuku could be described as a cross between a gasp and a yell. His fingers had carefully opened the package in front of him and had revealed a set of two thick notebooks and a pack of pens. Izuku picked one of the notebooks up in disbelief. The one in his hand was plain black with a soft leather cover and the second one on his bed was grey with a woven fabric cover and a black elastic band that held it closed. Both felt amazing to the touch. The pack of pens consisted of four different colors of erasable ballpoints.

"What do you think?" Ochaco asked excitedly. She had seen the way his eyes lit up and he had immediately run his fingers along the spine and across the covers. His gaze met hers and she was taken aback from the intensity of his eyes.

"It's amazing...But you didn't have to get me something so expensive, Uraraka-san. You even brought a cake to boot." Izuku was aware of her financial situation and felt bad that she had spent so much money on a gift for him. Ever since starting at UA, Izuku had gone through his notebooks like it was nobody's business and he barely had any pages left in his current one.

"Don't worry, I got it as a bundle so it was cheaper and the salesman gave me an additional discount for students!" The brunette proudly told him. Ochaco's coupon game was incredible and she always found the best deals. She had also made the cake from scratch so she was excited for Midoriya to try it.

"Thank you so much!" Izuku flipped open the black notebook and noticed that one side was plain paper and the opposite side was ruled. That way he could draw on one side and write his notes in an orderly fashion next to it. Izuku smiled so brightly that he would have given All Might a run for his money. Ochaco sighed in relief as her best friend happily started rambling about how he was going to put her gift to use.

"Did you make the cake yourself?" Izuku had thought ahead when he moved in and had bought disposable tableware and paper cups in case he didn't want to eat in the common room. His decision now came in handy and he got up to grab two paper plates and cups as well as a knife and two forks.