Chapter 6

More often than not, Iida was used to being the voice of reason and he liked to approach any situation rationally. His deductions and theories were based on logic and he weighed pros and cons before making a decision. This was why he had proposed that Class 1A start small study groups to keep up with their grades and continuously challenge one another. Pros: the students in question could get tutoring suited to their level and improve their academic achievements, while the ones tutoring could shoulder the responsibility of teaching another person. The cons: it would take a lot of patience from both sides to successfully implement peer-based tutoring, but the class president was convinced it would work out in everyone's favor.

The idea had come to him following a conversation with Asui and Uraraka who had been discussing strategies on how to balance homework with internships and Iida had remembered that a handful of students had been letting their grades slip. The next time they had a class meeting, he had suggested the tutoring and with the support of the vice president along with Aizawa-sensei, Iida had set his plan into motion.

See, although Iida wanted to help his classmates perform better in school, he had noticed a few things over the past couple of weeks. What stood out the most to him was how many of the students looked sleep-deprived and withdrawn even. It was one of the reasons he suspected that grades were slipping, which could be blamed on lack of discipline or a good work ethic, but seeing as he also cared for his classmates and their well-being, he had come to conclude that they were affected by other things. So the tutoring proposition served another purpose, which was to bring the students closer and hopefully help each other to deal with their respective problems.

Iida might not be the most discreet person of the bunch, but he was acutely aware of how the villain attacks and Bakugo's kidnapping had affected the students in their class and was hoping that being forced together in smaller groups would help them ease their worries and unburden their hearts. True heroes always saved the heart of others. The class president was confident that it would somehow work out – he just had to believe in the qualities of his classmates and friends.

That being said, there was still something he had to find out about said friends.

"Midoriya!" He called out to his freckled friend when he noticed the smaller boy leaving the classroom. Their last class for the day had ended and the students were either headed back to the dorm or loitering around.

"Yes?" Izuku stopped mid-step and looked over his shoulder to see Iida hurrying after him and waited for the class president to catch up.

"Are you headed back? Let's go together." Iida suggested and started leading the way. The two of them had walked to the station together so many times when they lived at home and Tenya couldn't see why that should stop now when they were sharing living spaces.

"Sure." Izuku fell into step with the taller boy, matching his fast pace. There had been something different about Iida the whole day, but Izuku couldn't quite place his finger on what it was. Iida was always serious and could often get intense, but there was something different about his intensity today.

"Midoriya... You are always quick to notice things with your keen observational skills and analytical mind." Iida stated out of the blue causing Izuku to scrunch his brows together in confusion. The dark-haired boy looked at him sideways, gauging his reaction.

"Oh, I guess so?" It was true. Izuku had been an awkward boy and had always watched other people in any type of situation he could. It was like second nature to him now.

"I'm sure you've noticed that something seems amiss with a few of our classmates." He waited for Izuku to nod his confirmation, before continuing his verbal dissertation all the while keeping a steady pace. The freckled boy was starting to see where Iida was going with his observation, and he wasn't liking it.