Challenges

CHAPTER 28

CHAPTER 28

Peter and Edmund walk out of the How together, hearing the cheering of the Narnians. Edmund holds Peter's sword as they reach the area in which they are fighting at. Peter unsheathes his sword causing the Narnians to once again cheer loudly.

"There is still time to surrender," Miraz tells Peter as they begin to circle each other.

"Well, feel free," Peter retorts.

"How many more must die for the throne?" Miraz asks him.

"Just one," Peter answers him before lowering his helmet. They both attack as Peter uses the ruins to jump off of for a higher advantage. They begin to parry as both armies cheer for their contender.

Elizabeth makes it out of the tunnel and into the woods.

"They've seen us!" Lucy tells Elizabeth as five of Miraz's soldiers begin to follow them. Elizabeth comes to a stop in a clearing before hopping off of the horse.

"Take the reins," Elizabeth orders Lucy.

"What are you doing?" Lucy asks her worriedly.

"I'm sorry, Lucy. But it looks as if you'll be going alone after all," Elizabeth answers her sister before slapping the horse causing it to take off. Elizabeth turns to face the direction they came from as she unsheathes her sword and grabs a dagger. Elizabeth looks back at Lucy, who stops at the top of the hill looking back at her sister. Elizabeth gives Lucy a small smile and a slight nod before Lucy continues on her way. As the first soldier comes into view, Elizabeth throws her dagger hitting the soldier, killing him. Elizabeth grabs her other dagger before throwing it and taking out the next soldier. Elizabeth quickly runs to the nearest fallen soldier, grabbing her dagger before throwing it at the next soldier, killing him. Elizabeth ducks as the next soldier swings at her with his sword. The other soldier runs into Elizabeth with his horse causing her to fall to the ground, losing her sword. One soldier continues after Lucy while the other corners Elizabeth. A yell is heard before Caspian rides into view, killing the other soldier. Caspian rides over to Elizabeth with a smirk on his face as she looks up at him with a smile.

"Are you sure you don't need that whistle?" Caspian asks teasingly as he holds his hand out to Elizabeth, who playfully rolls her eyes. Elizabeth quickly grabs her sword and daggers before accepting Caspian's hand to help her onto the horse. Caspian then takes off back to the How, leaving Elizabeth worried about her sister.

Peter and Miraz continue to parry before Peter gets behind Miraz, slicing his back. They parry before Miraz hits Peter in the head with his shield, causing Peter to lose his helmet. Peter dodges an attack from Miraz before slicing Miraz's leg. Peter and Miraz both attack before Miraz trips Peter, sending him into a roll which he easily stands from. Miraz attacks before knocking Peter to the ground. Before Peter can get up, Miraz steps on his shield causing Peter to cry out in pain as his shoulder dislocates. Peter attacks Miraz causing him to step off of the shield before Miraz attacks again. Peter rolls away from the attacks before attacking Miraz and rolling towards Miraz causing Miraz to fall over Peter, who quickly gets up. Peter notices Caspian riding back with Elizabeth as Miraz struggles to stand back up.

"Does his highness need respite?" Miraz asks him, since it was clear that they were both in pain.

"Five minutes?" Peter asks.

"Three!" Miraz agrees before they walk to their respective sides.

"Lucy?" Peter asks Elizabeth as she and Caspian make their way over.

"She got through... with a little help," Elizabeth answers him as she glances at Caspian.

"Thanks," Peter tells Caspian causing Elizabeth to slightly smile at them almost getting along.

"Well, you were busy," Caspian slightly jokes causing Peter to nod.

"You better get in position. Just in case," Peter tells Elizabeth. "I don't expect the Telemarines will keep their word." Elizabeth gives her brother a quick hug causing him to groan in pain.

"Sorry," She tells him.

"It's all right," Peter responds.

"Be careful," Elizabeth orders him.

"Keep smiling," Edmund tells Peter as he looks at the Narnian troops. Peter turns to the troops with a smile as he raises his sword causing them to cheer. Elizabeth gives Caspian a small smile before making her way over to his horse, where there is now one waiting for her. Caspian takes Peter's shield off his arm, causing Peter to groan in pain.

"I think it's dislocated," Peter tells Edmund. "What do you think happens back home, if you die here?" Edmund and Peter share a worried look since neither of them knew the answer. "You know you've always been there, and I never really..." Edmund pushes Peter's shoulder back into place.

"Save it for later," Edmund states as Peter groans in pain. Peter stands as he grabs his shield and sword before denying his helmet. Miraz does the same as the Narnians cheer for Peter. They walk back towards the middle before Peter is the first to attack. Miraz starts hitting Peter with his shield, especially the arm that Peter had dislocated. Miraz knocks Peter into the ruins causing Peter to fall to the ground. Miraz goes to attack but Peter blocks before swinging his legs around, knocking Miraz down to the ground. They both quickly stand back up before attacking again. Peter has dropped his sword, so he used his free hand to aid him in taking Miraz's sword away from him. Peter attacks with both swords causing Miraz to back up before Peter drops Miraz's sword, only attacking with his. Miraz uses his shield to block the attacks. Peter goes to stab Miraz but misses before Miraz takes his sword away. Miraz punches Peter before hitting him with his shield. Peter grabs Miraz's shield before twisting around so he traps Miraz's arm behind Miraz's back. Miraz elbows Peter in the face before shoving him into the ruins. Miraz grabs his sword before attacking Peter, who ducks out of the way. Peter uses his arm guards to block attacks before punching Miraz in the face causing him to back up. Peter then quickly punches Miraz where he had sliced his leg open earlier in the fight.

"Respite! Respite!" Miraz calls as he backs away before falling to his knees.

"Now's not the time for chivalry, Peter!" Edmund yells at him. Peter looks at Miraz before walking away from him. Miraz grabs his sword as he stands before going to attack Peter. "Look out!" Peter dodges the attack before Miraz goes to stab him. Peter moves out of the way before grabbing the sword and twisting it out of Miraz's hands. Peter then stabs Miraz in the stomach before pulling out the sword, causing Miraz to drop to his knees. Everyone goes silent as they wait for Peter to kill Miraz.

"What's the matter, Boy?" Miraz asks him. "Too cowardly to take a life?"

"It's not mine to take," Peter answers him before turning to look at Caspian, who walks forward taking the sword from Peter. Tension builds as everyone watches Caspian raise the sword.

"Perhaps I was wrong. Maybe you do have the makings of a Telemarine King after all," Miraz tells him before lowering his head. Caspian lets out a yell before stabbing the sword into the ground in front of Miraz.

"Not one like you," Caspian says as he straightens up. "Keep your life. But I am giving the Narnians back their kingdom." Caspian walks away from Miraz causing the Narnians to cheer. Caspian looks over at Elizabeth, who is proudly smiling at him.