The Truth About The Darkness

Chapter 42

Chapter 42

"The Oppressor! The Oppressor!" The dufflepuds say as he, Lucy, and Elizabeth walk outside.

"Lucy," Edmund says at the same time Caspian says "Elizabeth."

"Your Majesty," Coriakin says as he bows.

"Caspian and Edmund," Lucy introduces.

"This is Coriakin. It's his island," Elizabeth adds before Caspian and Edmund bow back.

"That's what he thinks. You have wronged us, magician," Chief accuses.

"I have not wronged you. I made you invisible for your own protection," Coriakin explains as he walks towards the dufflepuds.

"Protection? That's oppressive! Oppressor!" The dufflepuds accuse.

"I have not oppressed you," Coriakin tells them.

"But you could've, if you'd wanted to," Chief argues.

"Be gone," Coriakin says as he throws something at the dufflepuds.

"It's a spell!" Chief calls as the dufflepuds retreat.

"What was that?" Lucy asks.

"Lint. But don't tell them," Coriakin answers causing Elizabeth to smile.

"What were those things?" Eustace asks.

"Dufflepuds," Coriakin answers him.

"Right, of course. Silly me," Eustace says causing Elizabeth to giggle.

"What did you mean when you said you made them invisible for their own good?" Elizabeth asks as she and Coriakin lead the way inside.

"It seemed the easiest way to protect them from the evil," Coriakin answers her.

"You mean the mist?" Edmund asks him.

"I mean what lies behind the mist," Coriakin answers him before he rolls out a map.

"That's quite beautiful," Eustace says causing the Pevensies to smile at him. "I mean, for a make-believe map of a make-believe world." Elizabeth walks around the map seeing Orieus blowing his horn at Aslan's camp. To Peter and herself leading the charge into the battle against the White Witch. Elizabeth sees Cair Paravel before making her way to the other side seeing her, Caspian, Peter, Susan, and Edmund leading the charge back into battle against the Telemarines. Elizabeth stops beside Caspian, who is also staring at the map. They share a small smile before looking at Coriakin.

"There is the source of your troubles. Dark Island. A place where evil lurks. It can take any form. It can make your darkest dreams come true. It seeks to corrupt all goodness to steal the light from this world," Coriakin explains as the map moves to show the dark place.

"How do we stop it?" Elizabeth asks with determination.

"You must break its spell," Coriakin answers her. "That sword you carry, there are six others."

"Have you seen them?" Edmund asks.

"Yes," Coriakin answers.

"The six lords, they passed through here?" Caspian asks.

"Indeed," Coriakin agrees.

"Where were they headed?" Caspian asks him.

"Where I sent them. To break the spell you must follow the Blue Star to Ramandu's Island. There, the seven swords must be laid at Aslan's table. Only then can their true magical power be released. But beware you are all about to be tested," Coriakin explains causing Elizabeth to frown.

"Tested?" Elizabeth asks.

"Until you lay down the seventh sword, evil has the upper hand. It will do everything in its power to tempt you. Be strong. Don't fall to temptation. To defeat the darkness out there you must defeat the darkness inside yourself," Coriakin explains before they continue on their journey.