The Last Goodbye

Chapter 50

Chapter 50

"So, what was it like when Aslan changed you back?" Edmund asks as he aids Caspian in rowing them to Aslan's country.

"No matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't do it myself. Then he came towards me. It sort of hurt, but it was a good pain. You know, like when you pull a thorn from your foot. Being a dragon wasn't all bad. I mean, I think I was a better dragon than I was a boy, really. I'm so sorry for being such a sop," Eustace explains his experience causing Elizabeth to smile.

"It's okay, Eustace. You were a pretty good dragon," Edmund says causing everyone to smile.

"My friends, we have arrived," Reepicheep announces as they reach the shore. Caspian helps Elizabeth out of the boat before they start walking towards the wave, hand in hand.

"Aslan," Eustace says as he catches sight of the great lion following them.

"Welcome, children. You have done well. Very well indeed," Aslan says as he walks in front of them. "You have come far, and now your journey is at its end."

"Is this your country?" Lucy asks as she glances at the wave.

"No, my country lies beyond," Aslan answers her.

"Is my father in your country?" Caspian asks as he looks at the wave.

"You can only find that out for yourself, my son. But you should know that if you continue there is no return," Aslan answers him. Elizabeth looks up at Caspian with an encouraging smile, knowing he had to figure this out on his own. Caspian walks over to the wave, touching it before turning back to face them with tears in his eyes.

"You're not going?" Edmund asks as Elizabeth walks over to Caspian to comfort him, knowing he just made a huge decision.

"I can't imagine my father would be very proud that I gave up what he died for. I spent too long wanting what was taken from me and not what was given. I was given a kingdom. A people," Caspian explains as he glances at Elizabeth before looking at Aslan. "I promise to be a better king."

"You already are," Aslan tells him before turning to the others. "Children."

"I think perhaps it's time we went home actually, Lu," Edmund says causing Lucy to look at him confused.

"But I thought you loved it here," Lucy says.

"I do. But I love home and our family as well. They need us," Edmund explains before looking at Elizabeth. He gives her nod of what appears to be approval for what Elizabeth did not yet know.

"Your Eminence, ever since I can remember, I have dreamt of seeing your country," Reepicheep says as he bows to Aslan. "I've had many great adventures in this world but nothing has dampened that yearning. I know I am hardly worthy but with your permission, I would lay down my sword for the joy of seeing your country with my own eyes."

"My country was made for noble hearts such as yours no matter how small their bearers be," Aslan tells Reepicheep.

"Your Majesty," Reepicheep says as he bows to Aslan again.

"No one could be more deserving," Caspian says causing Elizabeth to nod in agreement.

"Well, I..." Reepicheep starts.

"It's true," Edmund interrupts before bowing to Reepicheep, who bows back.

"May I?" Lucy asks as she kneels in front of Reepicheep.

"Well, I suppose. Just this..." Reepicheep agrees before Lucy pulls him into a hug.

"Goodbye, Lucy," Reepicheep says as he hugs her back. Eustace then kneels in front of Reepicheep. "Don't cry."

"I don't understand. Will I not see you again? Ever?" Eustace questions him.

"What a magnificent puzzle you are, and a true hero. It has been my honor to fight beside such a brave warrior and a great friend," Reepicheep says before they bow to each other. Reepicheep then runs towards the wave where a small boat is waiting for him. "I won't be needing this." Reepicheep stabs his sword into the ground before hopping into the boat that takes him over the wave.

"This is our last time here, isn't it?" Lucy asks as she faces Aslan.

"Yes," Aslan answers causing Caspian to squeeze Elizabeth's hand knowing he would be losing her soon. "You have grown up, my dear one. Just like Peter, Elizabeth, and Susan." Elizabeth, Lucy, and Edmund walk over to Aslan.

"Will you visit us in our world?" Lucy asks as she pets Aslan.

"I shall be watching you, always," Aslan answers her.

"How?" Lucy asks him.

"In your world, I have another name. You must learn to know me by it. That was the very reason you were brought to Narnia. That by knowing me here for a little you may know me better there," Aslan explains to Lucy causing it all to fit together for Elizabeth.

"Will we meet again?" Lucy asks him.

"Mm. Yes, dear one. One day," Aslan answers her before turning to the water as he lets out a roar. The wave splits in half creating a doorway. They all walk over to Caspian.

"You're the closest thing I have to family. And that includes you, Eustace," Caspian says before clapping him on the shoulder.

"Thank you," Eustace tells him. Caspian and Edmund hug before Edmund turns to Aslan. Caspian and Lucy hug as Elizabeth makes her way over to the wave as she looks through it. She catches a glance of Peter and Susan with Edmund, Lucy, and her parents causing her to know that they will be okay. Lucy hugs Aslan before giving him a kiss on the cheek.

"Will I come back?" Eustace asks as Edmund and Lucy walk over to their sister. Caspian wants so badly to say goodbye to Elizabeth but knows it will probably be easier for both of them if he didn't.

"Narnia may yet have need of you," Aslan answers Eustace before looking at Elizabeth, who still has her back to him. "Dear one it is time." Everyone looks at Elizabeth confused before she lets out a sigh. Elizabeth runs over giving Aslan a hug thinking she had made her decision. Elizabeth glances at Caspian as she runs back over to her siblings. All it took was that one glance to make her change her decision and know where she belonged. Caspian makes his way over to the boat not looking back at Elizabeth knowing he would break down if he did. Elizabeth stops in front of her siblings.

"I'm sorry. I can't," Elizabeth says before she pulls Edmund into a hug.

"You're making the right choice," Edmund tells her.

"Look after Lucy," Elizabeth says before handing him some letters. Elizabeth then pulls Lucy into a hug.

"You're staying?" Lucy asks confused.

"I can't leave him, Lu. I'm not truly happy unless I'm with him," Elizabeth tells her. "You'll have that someday. Don't let the others forget about Narnia or me." Elizabeth then pulls Edmund and Eustace into the hug. "I love you guys." Elizabeth stands beside Aslan as she watches the wave close around her family before she turns to face Caspian, who has yet to turn back around. Caspian couldn't bring himself to look to see that his family was gone. "Did you honestly think you would get rid of me that easily?" Caspian quickly turns around to find Elizabeth standing beside Aslan.

"Elizabeth! Eliza!" Caspian says as they take off running towards each other. He picks her up before spinning her around and kissing her. "But your family?"

"You are my family too. Plus I try not to break my promises," Elizabeth explains with a smile.