Chapter 1

The car turns off from the main road and instantly the scenery around us changes. Before, we were passing shops and going over one pothole after the other. Now the only thing in view is a wide gravel driveway lined with willow trees each side, the sun spilling through their lazy branches. It's hard to believe that I've known this short road my whole life, and only now is it filling me with dread.

     "This is a really crappy thing you're doing, you know, Mum. I should call social services or something." I frown as our small, beaten-up Fiat slows and pulls into the Drop Off Zone.

     The car eases into the closest parking space to the large, wooden entrance of my aunt's summer camp. "Good thing there's no service here then." She smirks as she turns off the engine. Mum has been handling my rebuffs well, but I can see now that she looks just as daunted by this as I do. Maybe I should give her a break, but it's not like she gave me a choice in coming here.

     Two small children run past my open window, shrieking with joy. Their parents follow with huge smiles, hands clasped together while pulling two large suitcases with their free hands. It's like a scene from a sickeningly sweet film. I feel myself frown.

     Even when I try, I can't summon a memory like this. Just Mum and me. It's not a bad thing, I had a great childhood, but it's easy to feel like I've missed out on something in these moments. Especially when I have no idea just how many daddy/daughter moments I've missed out on. How much better my memories of Mum and me would be if Dad was there too.

     We watch the family for a moment before my mother carries on, "You used to be like that you know. Staying here used to make you so happy." She smiles sadly.

     It's true, I have some great memories from here, but that was always because Mum was here too. I don't get why I have to be here by myself this year.

     While it's exhausting being so horrible about it, a sob story isn't going to change my opinion, sorry Mum. "Yeah, for two weeks, not the whole summer! And for the record, I also like our summer road trips, our hiking, our ice cream nights." I sigh, pulling on my woven straw hat just to hide my face. I won't cry in front of Mum, I can't.

     "Oh hunny, I know you really wanted to go on a road trip this year, and I did too, but I just can't afford to take that time off work. And your aunt could really do with the help since your uncle Frank left and your cousins went to university."

     I laugh, I knew it wouldn't be long before she played the other guilt card. "Last time I checked university students get summer holidays too." I fold my arms, showing no signs of weakness.

     "They're getting older, they want to be out with their friends."

     I roll my eyes at her careless hinting and turn to face her. It's time for my guilt card. "Mum, I know you desperately want me to be some kind of a 'normal' teenager. But I love our Saturday nights in front of the TV, watching our favourite chick-flick with a huge tub of ice-cream, huddled beneath a blanket. You're my best friend, Mum." I smile and let my words sink in for a few seconds. Mum smiles too, but I know I haven't changed her mind. I definitely get my stubbornness from her.

     "I just thought we'd be together this summer, even if we weren't travelling, I still want to be with you, Mum. Especially on the -" Before I can finish, her arms wrap around my shoulders and pull me closer.

     I hear her draw in a breath before her shaky voice whispers in my ear, "I know, hunny, I know. But this summer I just want you to have a good time." She pulls away and gives me a weary smile. "I don't want you cooped up in the house all day, waiting for me. I want you to have a summer full of great memories, and I don't want you to think about the anniversary at all. You deserve a good summer."