Chapter 13

Monday brings sarky comments from the tired littles and I really can't be bothered with it after the bombshell Zoe dropped on me last night. I mean, what am I supposed to think about Ryan Jefferson now?

     We ditch sports because none of the littles are thrilled by the idea of it after the tough afternoon of bean bag throwing yesterday. Instead, we grab mats from the hall and take them to the beach for an impromptu yoga session.

     It's actually quite relaxing, with the lake lapping the shore gently and the lazy breeze. The willows sway peacefully around us and for a few moments I forget that I'm at the camp. Until Zoe starts to run through breathing exercises and suddenly all I can hear is the littles breathing loudly around me.

     I can't help but look across the lake to the retreat and wonder what Ryan Jefferson is up to. What am I meant to do? Yes, he's said some things that have made me smile and added with the fact he wanted to be a counsellor here, it does make him interesting. But, I lied to him about who I am. If I tell him that and he starts to ask questions about the banquet, it could lead to trouble.

     Who am I kidding? Once Ryan Jefferson finds out I'm not Eleanor, he's not going to be interested.

     "Cass?" I snap out of my transfixed state to see Zoe standing over me, one eyebrow raised. I stand quickly, realising that yoga is over. "Daydreaming?" She smiles in an all-knowing way.

     "Er, yeah. Great breathing exercises," I mumble as I pick up my mat and we follow the littles back to the hall.

     "It wouldn't have anything to with one Ryan Jefferson, would it?" She nudges my shoulder lightly.

     "No!" My voice squeaks and I realise that I've answered too quickly for it to be believable.

"If you say so," Zoe smirks as she places her mat back on top of the others in the corner of the hall.

     We have fifteen minutes before lunch so we take the littles back to the cabins for them to wash their hands. I take this time to read through the log about the last two nights with the girls since I'm on duty tonight. Apparently, they all sleep quite well; sometimes Daisy and Annie end up in the same bed, but that's fine as they're sisters and it's probably a comfort thing.

     Nellie though, the last two nights she's woken up crying at some point. It could be because she's away from her mum for the first time and she's still getting used to it, but I make a mental note to stay alert tonight.

      Lunch is a selection of different sandwiches cut into cute little triangles, veggie sticks, a packet of crisps and a juice carton. I roll my eyes when I see Crash's plate stacked high with just sandwiches across the room.

      "Can I sit with Mikey?" Kelsey tugs at my hoodie sleeve after she's chosen her lunch.

"Of course you can." I smile and watch her skip carefully over to the table Mikey is sat at with his group. He doesn't seem thrilled by her appearance but they talk excitedly to each other for the next hour.

     The littles are much livelier after lunch and the cabin is filled with excitement as we announce our afternoon activity is swimming. Most of them pull their costumes on without a second thought, but I notice some are a little more hesitant; I don't imagine many of them have swum in a freshwater lake before.

     Zoe and I take it in turns with Tabitha and Aisling to return to our cabins and get our own swimsuits on. When we get back, the girls are trying, and mostly failing, to blow up their armbands. We swap their armbands for waterproof suncream; they should be able to apply it on their own.