Chapter 20

We meet Ryan at Old Jack's after leaving the girls with Aisling for the night and a quick change in the cabin. He waves to us from one of the booths, three milkshakes already on the table. 

     "Trying to impress me, huh?" Zoe interrogates as she takes a sip of a strawberry milkshake. I feel my cheeks heat up as I slide in next to Ryan. I didn't think Zoe was going to play the over protective friend role tonight. 

     "Oh, I didn't order that, it was already here when I arrived." Ryan smirks as Zoe starts to cough through a mouthful of milkshake and I swat his arm playfully. 

     "Very funny." Zoe rolls her eyes and then leans across the table, a mischievous gleam in her eyes. "So what are your intentions with Cassie then?" 

    I groan as Ryan chuckles softly beside me, he thinks she's joking but I'm not so sure. "Zo," I warn. 

     "What? I'm just prepping you for the guys. You remember how Robbie was when he thought I liked Alex." Zoe shrugs, taking another sip from her milkshake. 

     "Can't we just talk normally? I'm already dreading the guys as it is, so please take my mind off it," I beg. 

     "You're right, how was camp today?" Ryan asks, sliding an arm around my waist. A sense of calm falls around me and I smile at him thankfully.

     "It was great. The kitchen gave us some bananas that were too ripe, so we made banana bread with the littles. They all made their own tiny loaves and it was so cute." 

     "It was." Zoe nods her head in agreement just as a waitress comes over to the table. I remember her from Saturday night, Zoe talked to her for ages at the bar, but refrains from saying anything other than her order today.

     "Don't you know her?" I ask as she walks away after taking our order, confused by Zoe's lack of usual charisma.

     "Me? Maybe. We might have a class or two together at school, but I don't like, know-know her," Zoe yammers.

     "OK," I reply, unconvinced. "So, what happened at the Retreat today?" I ask Ryan, turning towards him slightly, so that I can see him while still watching Zoe, whose eyes are somewhere across the room. 

     "Oh, great. Some rich guy complained about there not being a golf course, for an hour. A woman said she'd never use the spa again because all the waterfall music made her need to wee constantly. Then there was a pointless board meeting about profit margins or something. Oh, and an elderly lady slipped a fifty pound note into my shirt pocket and said 'would you grab my luggage from the car? There's a dear'." Ryan sighs and I can see the distain in his eyes. He might actually dislike the Retreat just as much as the guys do. If only they'd give him a chance.

     "So what I'm hearing is dinner's on you?" Zoe smirks from across the table.

     "Well, it's on the prejudiced old lady," Ryan points out as the waitress returns with our burgers. I pretend not to see the glance she gives Zoe before turning back to the bar, Zoe clearly doesn't want to talk about it so I won't push the subject again tonight.

     As we eat we talk about general things outside of the camp and Retreat; their university courses after the summer, the other attractions around here besides the camp, what we wanted to be when we were younger. It feels so normal despite only knowing each other for a matter of weeks. I feel like I know them more than I know some of my friends at home.

     Ryan's in the middle of telling us a story about his sisters when I spot a figure walking over to the table. 

     "Well, this is cosy." Ryan falls silent and Zoe's eyes widen as Crash slides into the seat beside her.  Why do I suddenly feel like a kid being caught doing something they shouldn't?

 I can't believe we thought we were in the clear tonight. Of course something like this was going to happen. Crash was already dubious of me after his accusations the other night, and us turning down the offer of a movie night at Robbie's house was probably the icing on his cake of suspicion. 

     "I thought you and Robbie were watching his parent's house tonight," Zoe asks, trying to sound as nonchalant as possible. 

     Robbie's parents called Jen on Sunday, their pet sitter cancelled last minute and they were going on holiday the next day. Robbie's house isn't far so Jen agreed the boys could watch the dogs on their off duty evenings as long as they were back at camp for breakfast in the mornings.

     "Yeah, we are. I just came over to grab some milkshakes and nachos for our next movie," Crash replies in the most monotone voice I've ever heard him use. He's pissed off. 

     An awkward silence fills the air and I wish someone would say something, while at the same time, I hope they don't. 

     "So, you two are a thing." Crash raises an eyebrow at me, refusing to look in Ryan's direction. It's an accusation rather than a question. Yep, that's exactly the kind of thing I didn't want to be said.

     "Yes," I answer because I can't lie and because with Ryan's arm around me, I feel almost invincible. Maybe it won't be so bad after all, the guys finding out. 

     "So you've just turned your back on the camp, just like that?"

     "OhmiGod, Crash, there's no need to be so dramatic!" Zoe jumps to my rescue, rolling her eyes at him. 

     "Hey, come on, that's not fair," Ryan adds at the same time, his protective arm pulling my closer towards him. 

     Crash shrugs. "That's just how I see it. You own the Retreat which is jeopardising our camp. Would you like me to phrase it another way? Dancing with the devil? Sleeping with the enemy? You pick, Cassie." 

     "OK, now you're just being an arsehole, Crash," Zoe's eyebrows furrow and she stands. "You're leaving." 

     "Gladly," Crash retorts, standing while giving me the evils. Zoe practically frog marches him out of the door, and I can she her shouting something at him outside, arms gesticulating wildly as Crash stand motionless beside her. 

     "Hey, don't listen to him," Ryan says gently, he squeezes my side, but I can't tear my eyes away from the commotion outside. 

     This is not good.