Chapter 4

Friday comes in the blink of an eye and before I'm fully awake, Zoe is driving us all into the town a few miles away to buy our spectacular outfits. The boys have decided we need to go dressed as mockingly as possible. We want to fit in, obviously, but mocking the Jefferson Lake guests is too good of an opportunity to miss.

     "Right, we'll meet back at Old Jack's for lunch in a few hours," Zoe says, clearly taking charge of today's plans. She grabs my arm and pulls me in the opposite direction to the boys.

     We head down a small alleyway between two cafes that opens up into a rather large courtyard full of old-looking shops. "Welcome to Vintage Alley." Zoe spins around, holding her arms out. I smile and follow her into the depths of this hidden shopping spot.

     The ground beneath us is cobbled, and there are hanging baskets everywhere. Each shop has a swinging sign and a huge window made of little rectangles that jut out.   Honestly, it looks like a scene from an old movie. I gaze at everything in awe, there are four neatly presented shops tucked into this hidden gem. You would never find anything like this in my town, we have two rows of shops, which is mainly just cafes.

     "OK, you are way too excited about this," I smirk as she glances into the jewelry shop window.

     "No way, I am the right amount of excited. You don't know how many nightmares I've had about Jacob since the other day. Plus, those buttheads across the lake have it coming."

     I laugh, tears springing in my eyes. "Nobody has used the term butthead since year eight."

     Zoe smirks and then bursts into laughter too. "I know, it just felt right. They peed on our flag!"

     She grabs my hand and pulls me towards a vintage outfit shop. A bell rings as we push the door open and the smell of moth-eaten clothes hits our nostrils before we even step inside. A middle-aged woman stands behind a desk, her hair rolled up around her head, bar two ringlets which fall down each side of her face. She's wearing a burgundy corset and a matching long flowing skirt.

     "Zoe Andrews, to what do I owe the pleasure?" The voice that comes out does not match the look of this woman. And then it dawns on me; the sharp jawline, the wide shoulders, the hint of a five o'clock shadow coming through.

     "Bertha, this is Cassie, she's our new counsellor." Zoe walks up to the desk and I follow suit, still trying to process my thoughts.

     "Well, aren't you sweet." Bertha, Bert maybe, offers me a warm smile. "So what can I do for you girls? What kind of outfit are you looking for today?"

     "We're thinking sophisticated, but like if we were starring in a parody. Subtle but also over the top, if tat makes sense. There's this party across the lake that we've been invited to and we want to make an effort." Bertha smirks as though they are in on the plot.

     "Oh, you are in the right place." Bertha nods, moving from behind the desk towards the clothing racks. There are outfits from all eras for rows and rows. "I love this, but alas, my hips don't fit in it. But, you, yes, try it on." They hand Zoe a deep purple power suit with flared legs and large shoulder pads. Zoe and I take one look at it and burst into laughter.

     "It's perfect!" I say breathlessly.

     "Ohmigod, yes, imagine this with smoky eyes and maybe I could gel my hair back," Zoe adds, taking the outfit from Bertha and spinning around towards the changing room.

     "OK, now for you, sugar, let's see." Bertha moves down the racks and I follow silently as they pick one thing after another and then shake their head. And just as I think that there isn't anything in here for me, Bertha picks out a final outfit and turns towards me, grinning.