Chapter 7

Zoe wakes me up far too early, wearing a bright yellow camp T-shirt and a pair of denim dungarees. "Come on, we've got breakfast and then we're going to the hall to meet our kids!" she tells me excitedly. I cannot match her energy right now.

     I pull myself up slowly and shuffle to the shower, washing all remnants of yesterday from me, and more importantly, from my hair. It feels strange to be going from master planners of a successful food fight to being responsible for little children. Yesterday we were so care-free. Today we have to act like grown-ups.

     The unsettling feeling in my stomach returns at the thought of meeting the kids I have to care for over the next five weeks. I glanced over the folder Jen gave me, but there was nothing about my group; just the basic information about being a counsellor.

     In the Great Mess Hall, I eat my bacon roll solemnly as the others laugh about something I wasn't listening to. The other new counsellors look just as panicked as I feel; it's nice to know I'm not the only one flipping out right now.

     "Hey there, hell raisers, how was last night?" Jen asks as she stops at our table on the way to get her bacon roll. We stop chewing immediately and stare at one another, sure that she knows everything we did last night. "The disco?" Jen laughs. "So good you forgot?"

     "Er, yeah, it wasn't that great. We didn't stay for long," I reply, picking at the roll on my plate. I don't feel good lying to Jen, but what she doesn't know can't hurt her.

     "Oh no, that's rubbish." Jen smiles sympathetically and then turns to the rest of the room. "I want you all in the hall in five minutes, there are a few things I just want to go over again."

     My stomach twists and turns as we make our way to the hall. What if I'm not good at this? What if I can't make a connection? What if I just don't like it?

     Zoe leads me to the chairs under a big handwritten 6-8's Group sign where four other counsellors are already sitting. "Hey guys, this is Cassie, she's a first-year counsellor." She links her arm through mine. "Cass, this is Tabitha, Aisling, and Jonah, they're first years too. And this is Zack, he's a second-year like me." Zoe points to each in turn and they nod their heads.

     The guys sit next to our section under a 9-12 Group sign and start chatting with the two other guys and two girls; one of whom shares Josh's mad brown curls and smile. I vaguely remember Robbie mentioning something about Josh's sister the other day. She must be a counsellor here too.

     Under the 13-15's Group sign are four counsellors who look like they are in their early twenties. It makes sense, I doubt a group of teenagers is going to listen to a counsellor only a year or two older than them.

     Opposite us, the room is full with rows of empty chairs, a walkway down the middle, waiting idly for the children and their families.

     "Great, OK, I've finished your groups so this is a list of your children and the in-counsellor rotation. There is a potential for twenty in each group, but don't be surprised at the actual amount. More kids could join us throughout the summer, I still have adverts for places up," Jen pauses. I can see her trying to gather the strength to continue. "Also, there is a copy of the timetable on the back. During free time you can choose an activity for the group, or use it as downtime; I know some of you will have your own ideas. The timetable will start tomorrow for our first Group Competition. I suggest using today as time for the kids to settle and for you to bond," Jen explains as she hands us each a sheet of paper.

Camp Little Willow Group List

6-8's

Lily Daniels – 6