Chapter 12

Zoe pounces on me as soon as we leave the littles with Tabitha, just after nine. They all crashed as soon as they climbed into bed, too exhausted for even a bedtime story. I suppose it is an hour after their normal bedtime and it's been a pretty full on day for them.

     "So, milkshakes at Old Jack's?" She loops her arm through mine as we head down the cabin steps.

     "Sure," I reply because I'd feel guilty saying no since I've already started telling her the story. Besides, I could use some advice. I really don't want to stop using the lake just in case I run, or swim, into Ryan Jefferson. But I also don't know what to do if I do see him again.

     I spot the guys leaving 9-12s boys' cabin as we reach the bottom step. They jump down the stairs, making more noise than the kids do. I roll my eyes and pray they don't wake any of the littles up.

     "What are you guys doing tonight?" Robbie asks when they've caught up with us.

     "Girl's night," Zoe replies without missing a beat.

     "Off to talk about how dashingly handsome we are, right?" Crash smirks.

     "Oh, we'll be talking about you, Crash." Zoe winks and the other two laugh, patting Crash on the back.

     Jen sticks her head out of her cabin door as we approach. "Cassie, can I talk to you for a minute?" It sounds like a question, but it's not. And knowing Jen, it could be about literally anything and take forever. "It'll be quick, I know it's your night off."

     "Meet you at the car?" I ask, turning to Zoe.

     "Sure. I'm gonna change first. I'll grab you a fresh top and jacket." Zoe smiles and joins the guys on their way back to the cabins.

     "What's up?" I ask, stepping onto the porch.

     Jen leads me to her office and shuts the door. "Well, I wanted to talk to you again about this morning. I know you don't want to, but as I am technically your parent by proxy, I need to know why you were at Jefferson Lakes." Her face looks the most serious I've ever seen it. "I'm not mad, I just want to know you're OK."

     I wipe my suddenly sweaty palms on my shorts as my cheeks heat up. It's an embarrassing story, but at least I wasn't there because I'd been caught doing something I shouldn't.

     "I'm OK, Aunt Jen. Really. I just, I woke up early so I went for a swim in the lake. I didn't realise how far I'd swum out and I kind of swam into one of their boats. Ryan Jefferson took me back to the retreat for some ice. It's nothing, really." I stumble through the story, even though I have no reason to feel so guilty.

     "Why didn't you ask him to bring you back here?" Damn it.

     "I, er. I was in shock. I think he just assumed I was from the hotel because of how far out I was." I don't feel good about lying to Jen, but I can't tell her the real reason he thought I was from the retreat.

     "I see," she says as she reaches for the phone. "well, that kind of explains this message then." She presses a button, the phone beeps and then a voice oh so familiar starts to talk. I gulp.

     "Hi, this is Ryan. I'm just leaving a message for Eleanor. I know you said you were leaving, but maybe if you're back soon you'd like to get a milkshake together, or something. You can call me back on this number, I'd really like to see you again, and maybe not hit you with a boat this time." He chuckles softly and I feel a smile tug at my lips. "So, um, yeah, give me a ring if you're in town again."