Chapter 5

On Friday afternoon Jen holds a meeting for all counsellors, re-establishing the rules. I think she's just nervous; this is the third year when kids have been allowed to stay without parents, and everyone knows it needs to keep going well.

     "OK, well that's it, for now, guys, I'm finalising your activity rota so you'll get them tomorrow." Jen smiles, but it's not as bright as normal. "I hope you all have an amazing summer."

     I'm starting to feel a little guilty about the plan now. I mean, Jen has never specifically said not to start a food fight at Jefferson Lakes. . . But I know if we get caught we're going to get into so much trouble.

     What if Jen gets blamed? What if the parents find out and stop sending their kids? What if families don't want to be associated with a business whose employees have started a rivalry?

     What if Jen loses the camp? It's all she has in the world.

     As we walk back to the cabins Robbie falls back to walk next to me, leaving the others joking around in front of us. "I know that look; you can't back out now, Cass," Robbie says it simply. There's no pressure from him or the others, I know that. But there's pressure from me. If I choose not to go, I could lose the friendships I've magically made. But, if I go, I could be putting the camp in jeopardy.

     Or maybe I'm just overthinking everything. It's kind of my speciality.

     "I just keep thinking about the camp; what if we get Jen into trouble?" I ask, biting my lip nervously.

     "It's a fail-proof plan, Cass. You can't think like that, we need you. We're doing it for the camp, for Jen's honour."

     Right now I have no way of knowing if he's saying this because they really do need me, or if he's scared I'll blab to Jen. But when I look up at Robbie, I can see it in his eyes, he wants me to be part of this.

     "I mean, I guess a distraction is a pretty big part." I smile slightly.

     "Yeah, you have the toughest job. You're gonna be like a Charlie's Angel or something. Just try not to fall in love with Ryan Jefferson." He nudges me and raises his eyebrows.

     I roll my eyes. "I don't think you need to worry about that."

     "I like your confidence, Cass." Robbie beams as we pass the Counsellors ONLY! sign.

     In our cabin, Zoe has set up all of her makeup supplies across her bed. She's sat crossed legged in front of it, her face perplexed. The purple power suit is hanging on the bathroom door along with my dress.

     "This is going to be awesome." She grins, picking up a pot of black dust.

     I don't say anything because my stomach has started to twist again and my adrenaline seems to be fading. This is real. We're actually gonna do this. At least we're not doing anything illegal. I think. Does it count as breaking and entering?

     "I'm gonna shower," I tell Zoe, picking up my towel from where I left it to dry on the end post of my bed yesterday, and scuttle to the bathroom.

     I half expect the shower to wash away my nerves and negative thoughts, but of course, that's not how showers work. I step out as the same girl, filled with the same nerves, except now I have wet hair.

     I dry off the best I can before pulling on a bra and pants. I look at myself in the small oval mirror above the sink and think about what Robbie said. We're doing this for Jen. For the camp. It's going to be fun. It can't be traced back to us. Confidence is key. I'm the distraction, the most important.