Chapter 3

Since official counsellor duties don't start until Saturday, I let myself have an extra two hours sleep, and I was planning more, but Zoe comes bounding into the cabin, way too excited.

     "What do you want to do today? We have the whole camp." She squeals.

     "Well I did intend on sleeping for a little longer but I guess that's out of the question," I reply tiredly. We didn't do much after we cleaned last night, just hung out in the boy's cabin for a bit but we were all beat we called it an early night.

     "You bet, it's already ten." Zoe scorns as she clips her fringe behind her ear. "You missed breakfast, but I brought you a bacon roll. It'll be cold now, but you might like it." she carries a napkin over to me.

     "Thanks." I yawn, pulling myself up.

     "So, what'cha wanna do today?" Zoe grins, flopping down on her bed. In the space of barely five minutes, she's asked me this twice and I still don't have a clue.

     "Um, I don't know, is there anything new this year?" I ask, shoveling the bacon butty into my mouth. It's lukewarm but I eat it anyway.

     "Well, there's a new slide and bouncy platform thing for the lake, but I've already showered." Zoe wrinkles her nose at the idea, or maybe my eating habit, I don't know.

     "Yeah, I don't really feel like a swim. Are the hiking trails still open?" I ask, finishing off my roll.

     On our last day here, Mum and I would explore the hiking trails around the lake. When I say explore I mean more forgetting about the trails completely and wandering aimlessly in the woods, talking. We always find something to talk about, I don't think there's ever been a dull moment between us. I reach out for my phone, wanting to text Mum, but pull my hand back when I remember there's next to no service.

     "I guess they're still there, we don't use them with the kids that much but some of the families like to explore the area." Zoe shrugs as I pull on a green camp t-shirt and some light blue denim shorts. We have free use of the camp but we're still technically counsellors on duty for the families who are here, so, unfortunately, the unflattering camp shirts are a must.

     "Perfect." I smile, sliding on my trainers.

     "You want to hike?" Zoe sounds almost amused, but mainly confused, about the idea. My keenness to sleep obviously doesn't make me seem like someone who likes to hike.

     "Yeah, I love to explore. You don't have to come," I reply, tying my hair up into a ponytail with minimal effort. I run my fingers through my fringe quickly to try and neaten it up.

     "Great. I think I might go to the arts and crafts tent, this place needs jazzing up." Zoe laughs. Jen couldn't have picked a more different cabin mate for me if she tried. Not that I'm complaining, I don't mind the time alone.

     "OK. Nothing too glittery." I mock, grabbing my grey zip-up hoodie before slipping out of the cabin into the beating late morning sun. It's fairly hot but I zip up my hoodie, I don't want to be bumping into any families looking for a counsellor.

     I walk past Jen's cabin, checking to see if she's in. She isn't, which I don't find surprising, she's probably out helping someone or getting inspiration for her next big idea here.

     I pass the little willow tree, running my hands through its low branches, and head towards the oak trees that make the wood past the family cabins. I love the sudden change in trees. Willows line the driveway and part of the lake, but up here it's mainly oaks. As much as I love the willows, oaks just remind me that bit more of woodlands and all the times Mum and I have spent wandering them.