Ch 4: That One Time She Met Twiggy

Hazel POV

I stared at my new therapist Dr. Watts in one of the many parlors in the manor, "Lady Sutherland told me you had a nightmare last night." He said gently.

I cringed recalling waking up screaming and ripping the sheets from my body before Isabella wrapped her strong arms around me, Charles taking my hands so I couldn't hurt my self by accident.

Their soothing voices in my ears as I realized it was just a dream. "I did." I murmured.

"Thats perfectly normal considering Charles informed me you became a Vampire through violent circumstances."

It looks like the man was fully debriefed by my new parents.

I didn't know if I should smile or cry, "I guess so."

"And you remember nothing of being human?"

"No." I mumbled, "am I supposed to."

"Some changelings do, its extremely rare for the subject of violent change to remember how it happened, the severity of the memory loss from there varies, often depending on the severity of the attack. Considering the injuries you sustained I'm not surprised by your memory loss."

Part of me wanted to know, "you know what my injuries were?"

"Yes."

We stared at one another for a long moment, "will you tell me?"

"Do you think it will help your progress?"

"I...I struggle to believe this all happened maybe if I knew some I would be quicker to accept it."

He nodded, flipping open a folder, "tell me if you want me to stop." He waited for me to nod before starting, "sever blunt force trauma to the head, multiple neck wounds, several broken ribs one of which punctured a lung, large gashes to abdomen where catalogued on your way to the hospital... you were found still alive."

My tears began to fall as no memory joined what he was stating.

"Shall I continue?"

I nodded.

"When you arrived, doctors worked to revive you, one of the nurses was a vampire and she called the council when she realized what happens and that you were likely going to die, as is protocol for vampire attacks. You passed away on an operating table and the nurse monitored your body as you were sent to the morgue. The council was immediately informed as your wounds began to heal signally that you must have ingested your attackers blood, skin in your teeth seemed to-"

"Stop." I choked out. "That's enough."

He nodded a bit, "I assume you remember none of that?"

"No."

"That is likely for the better." Dr Watts replied but these nightmares might be your human subconscious, they should disappear when your body is fully adjusted. You may eventually gain some of your memory but it's unlikely. If it. Okay with you, I would like to preform a series of tests to see what sort of functions you retained."

"functions?"

"Things like reading, writing, seeing if you retained any of your human education so you can better understand how to progress in your new life."

"Oh... okay." Thats probably important, "lets do that."
~~

"How was therapy?" Isabella asked gently as she pushed her sunglasses up her nose.

Apparently sunlight and vampires were in fact not natural enemies. Isabella even joked that it wouldn't even give a vampire a tan much less burn them alive. Altho the sun can bother their eyes.

"We focused on figuring out what I retained before the incident."

"And your comfortable with doctor Watts?" She asked, "we can change him out if you want?"

"No... he's fine," I mumbled, "thank you."

She smiled a bit, pulling me into an expensive looking boutique, "anything here catch your eye sweetheart?"

I stared at the array of cream blouses and expensive looking skirts in all sorts of colors, "uhm"

"Thats a no." She tisked, "next!"

I followed her out the store and down the street, "shouldnt I try things on?"

"Only things you are even remotely interested in." She replied airily, "we tried preppy, conservative, casual, sporty..." she trailed on listing things I wasn't really sure were styles.

I paused in front of the window of a small boutique.

It took Isabella a moment to notice and strut back to me, peering at the outfit over my shoulder, "oh how that brings back memories." She laughed lightly, "miniskirts and eyelash overload, oh and the bouffants 1960s london was a wild thing indeed."

I smiled a bit at the mini dress in the window of the vintage shop, the stripped turtle neck and the headband that matched the boots. "its really cool."

Isabella grabbed my hand, "well it looks like it will fit you lets try it on!"

"What?" I asked, surprised as she dragged me into the store requesting the outfit in the window before we were even fully inside.

She was gleeful to find that even the shoes were my size, clapping a bit as I stepped out of the fitting room, "oh my 60s baby! How do you feel?!"

I blushed a bit, "its really cool."

She handed her credit card to the woman, "I want to see every piece you have from the 60s. And could you pack what she was wearing in a bag, she will be leaving in this."

I turned a bit in the mirror, looking at myself from several angles.

Isabella came over and fixed my hair into low loose pigtails "I can even teach you some of the hair and things from the time if you don't already know. A girl doesn't just up and love the 60s without knowing a thing about it."

"Its not... weird?" I asked nervously.

She laughed, "heavens no, I wish that time lasted longer! I may still have some pieces I saw in vogue from then in my closet you can have too."

"Oh wow, really?"

She nodded, fluffing my hair, "lets stock your closet and fill your bathroom with crazy makeup and loads of hairspray."

I couldn't help the laugh that bubbled up as she sashayed to the store lady who was juggling with several vintage pieces, asking about any vintage inspired stores she knew of to further stock my wardrobe while at the same time sorting through the clothes and immediately rejecting a few.

Apparently Isabella was an all or nothing kinda woman.

I just stood there, watching her hold up clothing to me and asking me for the final say in some of the whacky colors and patterns she dug through.

We left the store having nearly cleaned out an entire era of clothes and with a list of stores in our hands, Isabella chatting about her memories of the 60s and that one time she met Twiggy.

It was... nice.

And probably the most normal my life was going to be again.