Ch 5: Changeling Mutt

Hazel POV

Charles seemed amused by Isabellas antics when it came to shopping, kissing her cheek softly as we walked through the door behind some of the servants carrying our bags.

"Look at you!" He grinned at me, "looks like you ladies had fun."

I smiled a bit, "yeah.. we did."

Isabella beamed at me, "I had us go get blowouts and got her makeup done at one of the stores, isn't she beautiful?"

He wrapped an arm around his wife, "you both are, I hope Isabella is making you feel comfortable Pumpkin."

I blushed a bit at the nickname, surprised I actually could, "I just feel like this is all too much you guys don't have to..."

"Nonsense," he cut me off, "your our daughter and you did actually need a new wardrobe."

I nodded a bit, thanking them again before retreating into the house to go unpack my new things.

~~

Isabella came in and sat on my bed as I finished organizing all of my new makeup in the ensuite bathroom. "How are you feeling sweetheart?"

I looked over at her and smiled a bit, "all things considered? Better than I thought possible."

She looked relived, "I hope you know if you ever feel pressured that you can tell me its all too much okay? We can take this at your pace."

I nodded, "I never thought otherwise."

The dark haired woman smiled, "I'm glad to hear that, that being said... I hope that one day, when your ready, you might consider me your mother and..." she trailed off, the normally boisterous woman going quiet.

I realized suddenly that she wanted to be seen as a mother and wanted everything that came with it.

She wanted me to call her mom.

"I will." I said, joining her on the bed, "and with the rate we are going I doubt it will take very long, you're a really great mom."

She looked relieved, "you think so?"

I nodded, "im lucky to have you."

~~

Isabella left my room joyful but tearful, stating she didn't want to be a smother and that I should feel free to explore.

Which is how I ended up, back pressed against a wall as two maids around the corner chatted away... about me.

"I cannot believe that we have to serve a changeling mutt. It is so below the lord and lady to take in something like her from the gutters."

The other one snorted, "when I heard the news from Henry I nearly quit on the spot, how unrefined. We are pureblooded and they want us to serve a disgusting little leach?" The girl laughed bitterly, "hopefully though in time the lord and lady will realize their mistake and try for a more favorable type of child."

I held my hands against my chest as they continued their ranting, pieces falling into place about my less than friendly welcome.

There was clearly a hierarchy in this species I was completely unaware of.

"Im not all that surprised though," the first one said, "as kind as Lady Isabella is she does have that unsavory past. The council was never going to allow her to adopt a pureblooded vampire."

My brows furrowed as anger surged inside me.

The other one tittered, "she was foolish to hope anyways, her sort likely couldn't mother a decent vampire."

Thats it.

I turned the corner, "excuse me."

They both went silent, looking at me like I was some sort of bug.

"Who," I continued with a glare, "gave you two your ugly bitch licenses and how do I get them revoked?"

They sputtered, the first one gaping, "you horrible little creature! You should learn to respect your betters."

"In that case I think you should go find some dog shit to go bow down to." I practically growled, unsure where this anger was coming from but not really caring in the moment, "Isabella is your employer and you two bet your bitch asses I'm telling Charles about this and I doubt my new father will take well to his wife being spoken badly about." I sneered, "and you two wouldn't know a decent mother if she slapped you in the face, and if I was Isabella I would!"

The just gaped at me.

I sent them my most spiteful glare I could, "If I was you two I would start packing now."

I turned to storm out of the room... and ran right into Isabella and Charles, worried looks on their faces.

My face burned again - I would need to ask about that later- "they were saying nasty things about Isabella.." I muttered, embarrassed, "im sorry I lost my temper but they were trying to say you couldn't be a good mother because of something about your past and thats just wrong because you're a really really good person and-"

Isabella pulled me into a tearful hug, "you dont need to explain anything to me sweetheart. And its not your job to defend me okay?"

Charles stood stone still.

This time the maids were being looked at by insects. "Both of you." He rumbled coldly, "are fired, without references. I expect you out within the hour." He turned his attention to Isabella and I, gaze warming, "your mother and I were hoping you would join us for a walk in the garden. We wanted to show you the pool and maybe have a family picnic."

"Okay..." I mumbled, still embarrassed.

He pulled me into a half hug, as much as Isabella would allow as she clung to me, whispering in my ear, "you're a good kid Pumpkin, don't you ever forget that."

I smiled faintly at him as he escorted Isabella and I through the manor and down the hallway.

If Karma is a thing, I couldn't help but wonder what I did in my last life to earn such good people in this one.