Ch 15: Totally Doomed

Hazel POV

"How was opening ceremonies!?" My mom asked the moment she picked up the phone.

"They were good..." I hesitated, wondering if I should tell her about my being the only changeling in the entire school. Ever.

Isabella and Charles didn't seem to completely understand their own societies prejudice despite having faced it themselves.

"Just good?" I could practically hear her pout.

What did she wish I would think of a school ceremony? "Well uhm, apparently Prince Mikhail Romanov is now attending our school. So that was interesting."

The words felt heavy on my tongue.

Isabella practically squealed into the phone, "Charles!" She shouted, "our little Hazel is attending classes with the crown prince!"

Crown prince... I faintly recalled him mentioning being future king in his speech, but my mind had trouble equating a prince withe bastard who growled at me because I had a nightmare.

I could faintly hear my father in the background, "He's blessed to be in the same place as our little pumpkin!"

I couldn't help the smile that crept onto my face.

Only my family would think a future king was lucky to be in the same space as me. "Well classes don't start until tomorrow so I don't know if we actually have class together, mom."

"Oh but you are so smart I'm sure you will."

These people have way too much faith in me. "Thanks mom."

"So..." she continued, "anything interesting going on tonight, Charles said in his day the students would throw a huge party the night before classes."

I practically cringed, Isabella was keen to know any and all 'interesting' things so I really shouldn't be surprised she knew.

I had heard some students talking about it earlier but obviously wasn't invited.

Nor did it sound like fun.

I picked at my sheets, "yeah, they use some abandoned dorm building on the edge of campus."

"What are you wearing?!" She practically squealed, "make sure its good for dancing, nothing too difficult to move in or overly uncomfortable. Also sweetheart if you drink be careful and keep it to a minimum. You have class tomorrow and please text me when you get home-"

"No later than midnight!" My fathers voice chimed.

"- so you don't worry me too much."

"Mom." I groaned, "I'm not going?"

"What? But its your first time around vampires your age, you have to go! You don't have to drink or participate in anything that makes you uncomfortable, but you should at least show your face. Lots of these kids have grown up around one another so it would only alienate you if you didn't even pretend to attempt to get to know them."

There was rustling on the line and then my father's voice more clearly, "pumpkin, I know its a lot to take in but your mother does have a point. We worry about you being new in a tight knit group and well these nobles can be easy to insult. It would look good if you popped in for even an hour, just sit on the couch and people watch if it makes you more comfortable. You don't need to dance with boys or drink. Your father would actually be happy you didn't, but from my understanding girls your age will think you don't like them if you don't even say hello."

I wasn't worried about them thinking I didn't like them. I was worried about what sort of adversity I would face with a drunk pureblood.

Still... if it would make Charles and Isabella happy to think I was trying I would try. "Okay...I'll go for an hour."

Isabella was back, "yay! Wear that cute sequin dress you got! The one with the stripes! And I want pictures!"

She was more excited than I was.

I wrote it off as one of those things she never got to do but thinks I should experience. "Okay..."

She was elated as we said our goodbyes and I walked to my closet, pulling out the dress in question.

"Okay." I said to myself, "you can do this Hazel. Just put on some makeup and a quick bouffant. Then go and a look around."

Take a picture for the parents then run away.

I can do this.

I glanced at the dress and then my reflection in the mirror.

I looked tired.

This would be a lot of work.

My mother texted me good luck and a reminder for pictures.

Im totally doomed.