04. Truthful Conversations

I woke up with a kick to the legs. Perseus was standing over me.

"Goodmorning," he greeted. "It's time to start getting ready to head out. I'd be careful around Draco though. He seems a bit touchy this morning."

I stood up, sore from the ground. "I'll watch myself then. It might be my fault though."

Perseus tilted his head to the side. "Did something happen last night when he left? Did you run into each other or something?"

I pulled my hair into a rough ponytail, tying it with a strap of leather. "You can say that. But it doesn't matter. What matters is getting Medusa's head. We need to pack up."

I started helping the others though it was slow. Perseus disappeared somewhere and Draco, along with two others, followed. I didn't linger on their disappearing figures or Draco's ass. There was no point in getting any more attached to the man that was going to kick me out of the one thing that brought me joy.

We were getting anything left over packed up when we heard a scream. I was crouched on the ground filling a bag. I shot to my feet and dashed toward the sound. The others followed. As we ran, I noticed a woman I didn't recognize following. I stopped when I saw a giant man fighting with Perseus. Draco stopped beside me before running after Perseus.

We stopped at the edge of the woods, where the forest ended and the desert began. I watched the giant figure disappear over a sandy hill. There were only a few minutes before Perseus followed the man, causing the rest of us to follow him too.

The ground turned to sand, which is hard to run in. It didn't seem like far before we stopped in a valley of sorts, finding a small indent of a hole in the ground where the mysterious man disappeared.

"Do you think the gods struck him down?" I muttered under my breath.

"Oh, gods," a soldier exclaimed. "Guys, look. The Underworld has sent demons after us."

I looked to where the others were looking and saw giant scorpions surrounding us. I could already hear their growls and hisses. Out of habit, I looked to Draco for instructions. He looked at me at the same time and gave me an almost judgemental look.

Setting my jaw, I brought out my sword and gripped it tightly, not daring to look at Draco again. The giant scorpions rained down on us before Draco could give an order. I split off with three other soldiers to go at once.

The thing was ferocious. It kept moving unpredictably and it was essentially impossible to get through its armor. At one point it knocked me off my feet and I was sent flying backward, hitting an embankment of sand. I bared my teeth and got up, seeing my opportunity. The scorpion had turned its back on me and was attacking another soldier.

I ran at it, sliding under its stomach. Getting up, I drove my sword right in between two large scales. The scorpion shrieked and collapsed on top of me. I faintly heard voices, most notably Draco's, yelling out for me but the wind had been knocked out of my lungs.

Within a few minutes, the dead body of the scorpion had been lifted off of me. I stayed where I was though, breathing heavily to get air back into me. Draco appeared beside me, holding out his hand. I looked up at him momentarily, trying to read his expression. When his eyebrow was raised, I took his hand and he pulled me to my feet.

He nodded. "Cassius. How are you feeling?"

I shrugged. "Alright for just having my whole body crushed. Thanks for asking, Captain."

Draco dropped my hand, holding out my sword with his other hand. "I'm glad. Get some water, maybe some food. You look like shit."

I untangled my hair from its ponytail and shook out my hair, taking my sword back. "Looking any better?"