06. Medusa's Lair and The Return Home

The entrance to the Underworld was not as bad as I thought it was. There weren't fires everywhere or ghosts hanging around. It was quiet as we walked down the dock that Charon would be docking his ship to carry us deeper inside the Underworld. My heart was beating so fast that I could barely contain my uncertainty.

We stopped but I was near the back of the group. I couldn't see well if it wasn't for the fact that I wasn't looking when Charon showed up. I was ushered onto the ship by Draco, who followed right behind me.

After we headed across the River Styx, I began exploring the ship. It was old and dilapidated. It didn't look like it could keep us afloat at all. But it was the only way we could get to Medusa and get that head of hers.

"Scared?"

I jumped. "Don't do that!"

Draco smiled. "I didn't mean to scare you, darling."

"Sure, whatever," I replied. "Did you need something?"

"Not really," Draco replied. "I just needed to be near you. I guess the whole Underworld thing is freaking me out."

I crossed my arms. "Is the Underworld freaking the great Captain Draco out?"

Draco rolled his eyes. "You're terrible. I really shouldn't like you."

I stepped closer, not much space between us. "No, you shouldn't. I'm bad news. I'll tease you relentlessly, drag you on with no guarantee I'll be there in the end."

Draco grabbed my arms. "I can wait. I am a very patient man."

I brushed some hair out of his face. He closed his eyes, his eyelashes fluttering. I moved my hand to his cheek before placing the other one on his other cheek. He hesitantly placed his hands on my waist, pulling me closer. He didn't try to kiss me, instead of resting his forehead on my shoulder. I ran my fingers over his braided hair, gently messaging his head.

Draco moaned softly. "You're good at that, my lady."

"So, I'm your lady now?" I asked.

He looked in my eyes. "You're more than that, Cassia."

My hands trailed down to his breastplate. "Good. Because you're the same to me too."

Draco straightened, pulling away. "I want you to move in with me when this is all over. Permanently. I want our relationship to continue as it is now. We have a lot to learn about each other."

I nodded. "Yeah, okay. I'll think about it. I think we need to join the others. They might be wondering where we are."

Draco's eyes lingered on mine before turning away. We joined the others on the deck, where they lounged around. It was hard to relax in the actual Underworld but we managed enough. I sat beside Draco, hoping to feel a little better with him beside me. He was the only familiar presence around there and he grounded me in a way. Atticus wasn't around to do that for me.

I watched our surroundings, eeriness filling me. I shifted closer to Draco, hoping I'd feel any better. We finally arrived and I stepped off the boat, shaking. I didn't know if it was from nerves or the fact that the Underworld was colder than I thought it would be.

Draco places a hand on my shoulder. "Are you ready?"

I nodded, swallowing any fear I had. I followed him and the others, gripping his hand. I only let go when we got to the entrance of Medusa's lair. We stood outside, getting ready. Io sat on a rock, looking beautiful. She was a stark difference from our surroundings. I stood near her, strapping my breastplate to my chest. I looked up when she called my name. She gestured for me to come closer and I did, taking my things with me.