13. A Plan to Make

The wedding finally came. I wasn't sure how it was going to go with my job in the military and the explanation of why both Draco and I were together a lot. Or how we would both have rings on our fingers. I was yet to come out as a woman in the military and I wasn't ready. There had to be time before I was able to do that.

As I sat in a group of a few friends, a mix of women and men, we discussed what the wedding was going to be like. The women mostly helped me, as I was only the non-married woman in the group and they already had their weddings. The men, including Atticus, have yet to be married. They were just there to sit around and look pretty.

But we got a lot of planning done. Draco wasn't allowed inside and eventually the guys left to help him plan. We did share information with each other so there wasn't any miscommunication. There was a lot to figure out in such a short amount of time. I still had yet to get a dress but I didn't know what style I wanted.

So women and I decided to head out to the shopping district to find one. We notified the guys where we were going and left after I grabbed multiple different small knives. I never went anywhere without some sort of weapon on me. A habit of several years in the military. I made sure that they were well hidden as a soldier rarely showed how many weapons they had on them and the fact that women weren't allowed to be skilled in weaponry.

We arrived at the shops, walking around to find the perfect gown. There were many different places to look at. All of the dresses were very feminine and long. I liked my skirts short and my appearance manly. But it was for my wedding. If I had to dress more feminine, then I would.

We stepped into a shop to look at what they had. I paused when I saw a dark blue dress with a little bit of gold. Immediately I knew it was the one for me. It was beautiful and I knew that it would fit me perfectly.

 It was beautiful and I knew that it would fit me perfectly

I called over the women I was with. They all agreed that the dress was the one. I bought it and we stepped out onto the street. We started heading towards our separate houses. Mine was the farthest away so I ended up having to walk alone down an almost abandoned street. Aware that I did in fact look like a woman with my dress and long hair, I knew that I had to keep a watchful eye on my surroundings. Luckily I was keeping a good enough eye because I heard a few men behind me.

I turned, seeing a group of men behind me. I didn't like how some of them were looking at me so my pace was immediately quickened. The men began walking faster, gaining quickly than I was. I could finally hear what they were saying and they were making gross comments about me. Reaching into one of my sleeves, I pulled out one of my knives just as the men came into reaching distance. One of them grabbed my arm, pulling me closer.

I whipped around and slashed at him, giving him a nice deep cut. The rest of the men ganged up on me but I kept them off with my multiple knives. They reached and pulled at me but every time a hand was put on me, a knife was straight toward it. The men eventually backed off but still kept in a haphazard circle around me.

Glaring at each and every one of them, I blew some hair out of my face. My long hair had been messed up in the scuffle and the box with my dress had been thrown aside, trampled by the multiple feet. I was sure I looked like a mess but I would have much rather been that than raped.

One of the guys looked at me as if he had recognized me. "Cassius? It can't be. He's a man."

I huffed, some hair blowing out of my face. "I don't know a Cassius. You must have misidentified me. But I can assure you that if you touch me one more time, I will tear your spine out of your back and use it as a ladder."

The group of guys started backing off, eventually giving up. As soon as they moved far enough away, I picked up my stuff and continued on my way. I arrived at my house, throwing open the door and shouting for Draco. He came running from upstairs, his voice filling with concern. When he saw me, he became even more concerned.

"What happened?"

I tossed the box with my dress onto the counter as I walked into the kitchen. "I got attacked on the way home."

"Did they . . . ?" Draco asked

I shook my head, leaning against the counter. "No, but they tried. I fought them off but . . . I'm okay. They didn't hurt me too badly."

Draco came closer, placing a hand on my hip. I stepped away, inhaling softly. Draco gave me a look but I just looked down.

Shaking my head, I turned away and grabbed my dress. "I'm going to put my dress away. I don't want you to see it until the wedding."

"Okay," Draco asked. "Are you going to be okay?"

I wiped my face. "I will be. I just want to be alone for the moment."

"Of course."

I carried my stuff upstairs and went into the bedroom. I put my dress away and sat on the bed. Taking a shaky breath, I put my head in my hands. I tried not to cry but the tears came anyway. Draco came in a minute later after hearing me and immediately came to my side. He took me in his arms, holding me tightly. I sobbed into his shoulder, holding onto him tightly. Draco didn't say anything; he wouldn't have had any words. He had never experienced what happened in his entire life yet my entire life was made up of those kinds of assaults. If I was a woman, there was always the potential to be beaten and disrespected; if I was a man, I was treated with respect and dignity.

After a while, I pulled away and wiped my face. My face was hot and wet from all the crying. Draco still didn't say anything. Instead, he rubbed my shoulders and made it known that he was there for me. Looking at him, he had the kindest look on his face. He was concerned about what happened to me.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Draco asked softly.

I shrugged. "I don't know. I was walking down the street by myself when a group of guys started following me. They came up behind me and started attacking me. I fought them off with some of my knives. I managed to get them off but I almost got raped. I could have been hurt badly."

"I don't what it's like to be a woman in this world where someone can take advantage of me," Draco said, "but I sympathize with you. I won't know your pain but I can see how it affects you. I will always listen to you about your pain and I will never dismiss your pain. That is what marriage is about. Trust and respect."

I took his hand. "Thank you. I will do the same as well."

Draco smiled a little. "Of course. It's late. Do you want to go to bed? It's getting late."

I nodded, wiping my face. "I am pretty tired. Just as long as you stay with me. I don't want to be on my own tonight."

"Anything for you, my dear."