10 | Peace Before the War

Updated A/N:
I don't know what I was thinking when I was writing this, but I decided to drag out my version of the Sports Festival until hecking chapter 17. Honestly, you could skip or skim chapters 10-16 cuz they're boring and trashy.

Izuku Midoriya

When I wake up to my alarm on my phone screaming in my ear, I jump to turn it off and prepare myself for the sports festival. My mom wishes me the best of luck and pulls me into a suffocating embrace before I leave. My blood is rushing to my head throughout the entire walk to Todoroki's house. It feels like my head's going to pop off at any moment, but once Todoroki walks by my side, I feel some of the pressure in my head sizzle out, like a flame in the rain.

Before long, we arrived at U.A. and were escorted to the sports festival once everyone had gathered together. We rode down to the sports festival by bus, and once we hopped out, a massive stadium with a riot of chatter spilling out of it awaited us. Thousands of people were already there, walking about or seated within the stadium. I was exceedingly overwhelmed by the bustling crowds of people, but luckily I had the calm and collected Todoroki to aid me. Mr. Aizawa pulled Todoroki away from me for a few moments, but other than that, Todoroki was at my side the entire time.

Finally, all the students of U.A. gather with the general course students selected to come. We're all standing on the green grass of the center of the stadium, watching as Midnight walks up to an enormous stage with a humongous screen behind her. A wave of photographers begin to snap dozens of pictures of Midnight from the stands, to which she willingly poses for.

"Welcome, everyone, to the sports festival!" Midnight announces, her voice droning across the playing field and stadiums. A thunder of cheers erupts from the audience. She explains the gist of the sports festival and who's participating before declaring our first game; it's a free-for-all race to the finish line, where only the first one-hundred students to finish will progress to the next game.

Everyone practically huddles together at the starting line for the opening game. We're all so tightly packed that it feels like I'm boarding a subway train in Tokyo. I can't see Todoroki from where I stand, but I know that he isn't going to back down to help me if I fall here. This sports festival competition is a survival of the fittest, so even if the weak are saved, they'll either come back stronger or get taken down immediately in the next event. It shocks me that I can even consider thinking this, but now is not the time that I'm saving others as a hero. Right now, it's about putting forth everything I have to prove that I am worthy of being a hero.

Immediately as the game commences by the riveting flash of a green light, the ground is frozen solid by Todoroki's all-encompassing ice quirk. The majority of us are frozen in place or struggling to free ourselves from the ice, but there are still a decent many who evade this instant attack and progress onward.

"Starting off with a blast, we have Shoto Todoroki!" Present Mic shouts over the intercom. "He's really left the competition frozen in their tracks!"

I slap on my brave face and force my way out of Todoroki's ice, slipping and sliding along the surface as I scramble to catch up with the rest. Even from where I am, I can hear Bakugou yell out, "Not so fast, Half 'n Half!"

"Coming in hot behind Todoroki is Katsuki Bakugou!"

Both Shoto and Kacchan are in the lead. I need to catch up with them!

Almost tripping over an uneven chunk of light blue ice, I flutter my arms around and decide to use the ice as my mode of transportation. Since my shoes have rigid bottoms, I swiftly slip them off and begin skating across the ice in my socks. Although the ice is exceptionally freezing, I know I can take at least a minute or two of it before I have to stop and slap my shoes back on.