58 | Beyond Tears [2/2]

Shoto Todoroki

Despite that...

The deed will be done, Izuku.

...he's breathing.

Just as you've instructed us never to give up, I refuse to lose. I absolutely refuse. You cannot give in, either, Izu.

Cauterizing each wound of Midoriya's that I'm capable of, I promptly tuck his body back into the cavity of ice his body created in my barrier. My fingers trace along his skin tinged in the hazy blue of my exasperated flames.

"You can mutilate Endeavor, but you're pissed off when you hurt someone else?" Dabi challenges inquisitively, yet almost connivingly. "Not sure I follow th—"

Marching towards Dabi with deranged, yet composed and calculated movements, I virulently snarl, "He is my boyfriend, and I will not hesitate to sacrifice everything I have for him. So be it if I must tear myself apart. So be it..." Evading a moderate explosion of rippling blue fire, I hurl my own incendiary flash of blighting azure at Dabi, who rolls away in the nick of time. "It seems your tabs were not close enough." Vitriol saturates my words while one massive beam of blue slices through the air, disregarding my sole request.

Heavily thrust backwards into the shield of ice Midoriya was nailed into, I wince. Shaking off the pain, I bolt towards Dabi, who is currently steadying himself from the recoil of his attack.

Indignant, impudent fool, I think to myself. My brother you may be, but that is a negligible factor to consider. Now, where is Kurogiri? Ah. Attempting to flee with him? I think not. The one move he was so passionate about teaching me... I will combine that with my other tactics. This power is my own. These flames belong to me—not him. Now merge them. Fire and ice... I've one shot. There are no second chances in this cruel, rigged game.

Tearing across the ground as Kurogiri scrambles to reach Dabi, I transfer the overwhelming power of the azure flames being feverishly discharged from my body to my left fist as a sleek lance of zircon begins to rapidly materialize. Charging forth at my own brother with malicious intent, my left palm surges with a swirling vortex of a blighting blaze as I hurl the lance at Dabi while Kurogiri's nebulous portal begins to envelop him. The gelid lance of sapphire flame, infused with every last drop of strength I have, pierces through Dabi's spine mere moments prior to Kurogiri's vortex dissipating into nothingness. An inferno of turquoise, sapphire, and zircon welds together into a soaring plume of heat from the outwardly ejected wash of fire succeeding the impact of the lance with Dabi. Spiraling, serpentine fractals of ice surge through the torrent of flames, continuing to form even after the host of the attack has exited the general vicinity.

Immediately crumbling to my side on the ground, I pant profusely while jamming my numb hand into my pocket to grab my phone. With shaking fingers, I dial for an ambulance and gradually crawl towards Midoriya. Once I'm beside Midoriya's cold body, I sigh in relief when, upon clasping his wrist, I can feel a faint pulse thumping against his skin.

He's still here, I reassure myself. He is alive. He is breathing. His heart is beating. He is real. He is here. I haven't the faintest clue as to what I would do without you, Izuku. No, I know quite well. I would surely implode.

After a minute or so of my hefty breaths, Midoriya's eyes flinch before opening up. "Y-You looked really cool out there, Sho," he chuckles with a feeble voice. "I'll be okay. Don't b-beat yourself up. You didn't m-mean to." He musters up an endearing smile as snowflakes begin to collect on his reposeful, frosty lips.

If I had not been so hasty... If I had waited... If I had known Kurogiri was present... I-It is solely my fault. I hurt you. I nearly killed you, Izuku. Izuku... Izuku is such a wonderful name. So beautiful. So perfect. You dirtied it, Shoto. Shoto, you will perpetually remain worthless. Absolutely worthless. Absolutely fucking worthless...