28 | You Only Have One Life

Izuku Midoriya

My body abstains from following under my command. "Iida-kun!" I cry out, unable to do anything but watch and listen to the bedlam.

"Oi, Four Eyes!" Kacchan barks, finally breaking away from the sticky hold of Stain's quirk. "Don't be taking on a challenge too big for yerself!" He blasts through the air and utilizes the moment of time it takes Stain to smash through the ice surrounding his lower half to fire off a massive close-ranged explosion.

Blown back like a leaf in the presence of a leaf blower, Stain stumbles through the air and rebounds off the side of the building to hurl a multitude of knives at Kacchan. Evading all but two serrated blades, Kacchan lands on the ground, hunched over with hands pressed to the jagged asphalt below. As Stain lunges for Kacchan to get a taste of his blood again, Kacchan ducks and swerves out of his path of wrath, narrowly escaping the elongated pink tongue darting through the air.

"Kacchan, watch out!" I call out to him as he wobbles on his feet while reorienting himself.

"Don't tell me what to do, Deku!" he snaps, unleashing another booming explosion of vivid autumn leaf colors behind himself at Stain. "Grah!" Kacchan reels his arms back in pain from the overwhelming energy and force of his quirk not being suited to being contained within his body alone...which is quite similar to my situation with One For All.

Disabled on the ground, Iida curls back his lips at the sound of Kacchan growling in pain. I can see the humiliation blossoming on his dour mien. I can't pin any blame on him.

Todoroki swiftly glides across his ice towards Kacchan as Stain grips Kacchan's wrist and deftly threads a dagger down deep into his side. Muffled groans of pain echo through the air. Stain prepares to slather Kacchan with his slimy pink tongue and drive yet another blade—he seems to have an infinite supply of blades!—into his neck to finish the job.

"KACCHAN!" I scream at the top of my lungs, witnessing as a veil of ice obscures my view of the battle.

No! K-Kacchan, this isn't like you at all! Y-You're never this hasty unless you're with me. The K-Kacchan I know in battle would never be aided by Shoto. Then again, St-Stain just won't go down. Even after two of my five percent Full Cowling smashes, explosions from K-Kacchan, fire and ice from Shoto, strikes from Iida-Kun, and strikes from Kirishima-Kun, h-he's still standing.

"OI!" I hear Kacchan growl sharply.

"Bakugou!" Todoroki commands, his keen words offering no mercy to any emotion.

"Dammit, don't tell me what to do!"

Glancing over at the fallen Iida, my heart is paralyzed in my chest for a century-long second when I don't see him moving whatsoever. I'm struck with an immediate wave of cool relief when Iida's back rises slowly. If he had given no indication of being capable of clinging onto his life, I honestly don't have the faintest clue as to how I would have reacted.

"Icyhot, you piece of shit!"

Iida-kun... I-I need to do something. C'mon, Izuku. Think! Think! Snap out of it. Break free. Wake up. Get in there! Kacchan and Shoto are endeavoring to subjugate Stain by themselves. It's not that I'm skeptical of their capabilities, but I know they're severely injured! Kacchan will sacrifice anything and everything he has to win. Shoto... I-I don't know, and that's what terrifies me.

BOOM!

"Tch! Stay the hell down!" Kacchan snaps belligerently.

THUD!

"Serves ya right. I'd blow you to pieces if I could. You'd better be damn thankful ya aren't lying in a million pieces!" Kacchan continues, to whom I sincerely hope is Stain, and not Todoroki.