57 | "I'm okay"

Izuku Midoriya

The rising pandemonium of the kitchen is soon muffled by the distance between myself and the rest as I tear through the common floor to track down Bakugou, whose arms are occupied by Todoroki.

Wh-What happened? I cerebrate as apprehension wraps its hands around my neck and injects my temples with a horrifically nauseating, incendiary fluid. What happened? What happened? C-Calm down, Izuku. It's probably not as dire as your immediate thoughts say.

"Kacchan!" I cry, nearly careening into the wall as I veer around a corner. "Wh—"

It's now that I realize small droplets of scarlet have created a trail following behind him.

My pulsating head threatens to expand to the point of exploding as my chest is stabbed with a dagger of stupefaction and crushing culpability.

"Just follow me, Deku!" Kacchan commands, his sturdy voice quivering.

M-My vision...just keeps deteriorating. Hazy rings of green and purple encroach on the peripheries of my eyes, mantling my head with a distorted perception of the world. My heartbeat is spiking. Th-This was how I felt when...

"...you're in my way."

"Shoto, NO!"

Breathlessly stumbling into the infirmary, I watch as Kacchan lowers Todoroki onto one of the white beds and Recovery Girl briefly scrutinizes Todoroki before promptly kissing his cheek; an ethereal green glow emanates from Todoroki's arms. Recovery Girl now fumbles for her phone, dialing someone like her hands are bolts of lightning.

"K-Kacchan, what happened?" I hysterically supplicate, staring at the son of Endeavor, whose countenance is bewilderingly ghastly.

Kacchan, with a dour lour, sibilates, "I ain't gonna tell ya something he should explain for himself." His lips minorly tremble. "All I can say is that it's a damn good thing I found him. It was serendipitous that I was in a general propinquity of him when I heard the... You know what? He can tell you what it was." He jams his hands into his pockets with the shake of his head.

"What if h-he doesn't tell me? K-Kacchan, I—"

Aizawa's voice transfixes the suffocating air of the room. "We'll ask him when he wakes up. If he doesn't say anything, then I want you to tell us, Bakugou. For his own health, it is imperative that we know. I'm trusting he'll admit the truth, but his health is our paramount priority, and you are the only one who knows the truth." His words are placid, yet whetted.

"Fine. But I'll make sure he does," Kacchan sighs, casting his gaze to Todoroki, who's currently inert in a state of silent repose. "I don't know why he did what he did or what exactly happened to have whatever happened ensue, but I know enough. I swear to God, if he pulls 'I plead the fifth,' there won't be snow here anymore. But I'm makin' sure that the truth comes from his lips."

Sitting at Todoroki's side, I clasp his calloused hand into mine. Sho, when you wake up, please don't lie to me. I know it hurts you to speak the truth, but letting the lies fall from your mouth puts you into an inextricable position that just tangles you up more and more. You're going to suffocate like that. I just want to help you, but you don't want the help. I hate to say it, but you need the help, Shoto. If I was never there that day, you wouldn't be here. Even now, if something like this can still abruptly occur, then it means we have to help you. I-If we don't... Sho, I'm terrified of losing you. I'm terrified of what you might do to yourself. If anything irreversible and avertible were to happen to you, I'd never be able to reconcile with myself. Even now, I feel like I'm not doing enough.