Drop the Beat

(Pic of lounge at the top, roughly)
As I leapt off the rope, and landed with a light thud onto the oak wood flooring of the lounge, I realised that BOTH of my brothers were in the same room eyes glued to the TV as they had an intense game of... mario cart going on.

They hadn't seemed to notice the rigid person in the corner of the room and I intended to keep it that way.

I was halfway to the door, while trying to blend into the wall, that I stubbed my toe on the glass coffee table causing me to curse loudly.

Their heads spun as one and all I could do was stand there, like a deer caught in headlights.

I could feel the small trickle of blood start to run off my palm and trail down my finger-tips, to drip down onto the carpet.

I could see Uri had noticed, then glance at the rope and slowly piece together that I had done this on purpose.
Though I don't think he got why.

'Sh*t! You didn't, did you?!' He then leapt up and went to find one of the first aid kits we have dotted around, and was back very quickly.

All the while Zeke just looked confused, until Uri started wiping the blood off my hands and trying to dab at the rope burns/ cuts.
A low hiss escaped his teeth.

Through all of this, I was still rooted to the spot.
The boys had never caught me before.
I mean I'd only done it once or twice before, but still, they didn't know.

'Why would you do something so stupid!' Uri was muttering.

I was suddenly snapped out of my daze as a wave of both guilt and anger washed over me.

'The girls asked what the jobs our parents had,' a small oh escaped from their lips but I plowed on 'so I said authopedic surgeon, then Lyn asked what dad did...' I trailed off both because I was upset and ashamed of how I had replied.

Dad didn't deserve what I'd said!
Especialy as it was my... No!

I came out of the reverie, that I was unaware I was in, when I felt the stinging of anticeptic on an open wound.

I stared at my red, bloodied and slightly blistered hands.
I gasped, only just realising how bad it was.

A sob was released from my mouth as I slid down the wall.
It was too much happening too fast.
Past and present were piling up, throwing me further down a hole of despair.
I started to cry in earnest.

I felt arms wrap around me and pull me onto the owners lap.
I glanced up from the ball I had made, expecting to see Zeke yet, there was Uri's face hovering above me.

He wasn't usually the one to console me and it felt nice to know he was always there as well.

'I j-just f-f-feel, s-sometimes l-like I'm the b-bad guy' I choked out and heard a shushing coo from above then a reply.

'People aren't born good or bad. Maybe with tendencies either way, but it's the way you choose to live your life that matters!'

I coughed out a laugh then 'Who knew Uriah Pedrad could be so wise.'
I felt a shrug and got 'It's rare, but it happens.'

I was slowly gaining control over myself and hiccupped myself into silence.
I grabbed some tissues off the table, to try and make myself look like less of a state.
Not much improvment on that front.

Once steady, we all moved to the sofa where the boys bandaged my hands then they sat either side of me while I lay on my side, head on Uri's lap and feet on Zeke's, while they continued to play mario kart.

---------------------Time Skip---------------------

Suddenly it dawned on me, I had left 4 emotional, maybe guilty, feeling girls in my bedroom thinking I'd locked myself in a room with no other apparent entrance.

I hot to my feet quickly and asked how long I had been down - 20 minutes.

At their queeries I said 'I left the firls thinking I'd locked myself in the walk in wardrobe! Bye!'
And I dissapeared upstairs.

---------------------Time Skip---------------------

When I was outside my bedroom door, I could here soft knocking and apologetic voices.

I was starting to feel really bad as I pushed open the door, my head hung low with hands behind my back.

They just stared at me then at the door they had been knocking on and then back at me.

I just silently walked over to my spare key draw, got out the walk-in-wardrobe key and went to open it, once inside I led them to my secluded corner, with the rope still hanging down.

I muttered an apologie but was cut off when a body flung itself on saying sorry instead.

A cloak of dark brown hair covered my face... Lynn was hugging me?!
(Sorry guys but lynn has shoulder length hair in this)
'It's fine. Honestly. But could you please get off me...'

I felt the weight recede, proping myself on my elbows, I looked up at the expectant faces.

Great, explanations aren't my strong point.

Well, here goes 'I use the rope to be quicker going up and down so I keep my hatch open for a day let the rope down and I have a short cut for the whole day.' I end with a shrug.

'Wait! Backup, you said to go UP!' Shauna repeated slowly
'Yes... so?'
She just shook her head and mutter
'Girl, you ain't human.'

As the girls filed back out, not seeming to notice anything around them, I brought the rope up, untied it and put the hatch back over the hole in the floor.

I felt as if I'd killed the mood, I couldn't ruin the whole night so I came up with an idea.

'Hey girls? Come back in here quick.'
I called out to them.
They did as I asked, if a little warily.

'Who's the fastest?'
Shauna was shoved forwards
'Okay, how about we race?'
'Tris, I'm not dumb, I already know your faster than me!'
'No I mean you run from here all the way downstairs to the bottom floor then back up and I use the rope, all the way down AND up.'

She stared at me hard, then a grin spread over her face 'I know you'll get down easily but I think going up will take you a while, so I'm game.'

'Great, Mar you sit here and make sure I go all the way down, Chris you go to the ground floor to make sure Shauna  goes all the way down and Lynn.'
'Yeah?'
'You'll say when to start and who wins.'

I quickly retied everything and opened the hatch, remembering to put on the gloves.

'Ok, when I drop the beat you go.'

Then she pressed play on spotify and we were off.

Hey!
WoW I actually published one during the day😮
Any way, off to write some more and has/can anyone pick at the quotes and trace them back to the books?
Xx