05

NATALIE

NATALIE

"Is this really happening?" I wondered aloud, grinning from ear to ear, as I watched the sky darken above us,

"Sure is Baby Gilbert." Damon chimed in, an equally wide smile gracing his normally hardened features.

We stared in awe, as Bonnie let some of her blood run over the gears of the Ascendant. She stood in the circle of light above the opening in the cave,

"Sangeim mearma ascendum se caveum." The chant was short, and I watched in amazement as the Ascendant opened even further, all the pieces clicking ever so gently into their spots.

"It's time." Bonnie said, holding the Ascendant in her outstretched palm. Me and Damon quickly rushed over, both of us placing our hands uncertainly underneath Bonnie's.

"Time to get awkward." Damon joked, as we all huddled closer together under the ring of light.

I looked between the two of them in that moment realizing just how much love and friendship I had formed with them after being trapped over here for so long. We had grown to know each other better than a lot of people know their own families, and despite Bonnie and Damon's constant bickering. I knew they had love for each other as well.

"There's probably about a billion other people we'd all rather be with." Damon joked. Me and Bonnie both chuckled remembering that desperate time we had all held hands during the collapse of the Other Side.

It seemed like so long ago that we had stood in the cemetery, watching as the supernatural dimension crumbled around us. The bright white light completely encompassing us as we had said our final one-sides goodbyes.

The months here had been long, and trying. We had almost given up, and now looking around it almost felt like the end of something. I blinked away the tears that threatened to spill over,

"Not exactly." I whispered, smiling slightly at the emotion matched in their eyes. I couldn't imagine being here with anyone but them.

It was all going so perfectly.

Until it wasn't.

In the middle of possibly the greatest moment of my life, it happened again.

That pesky internal compass screaming something was wrong.

I tuned out Bonnie and Damon, looking around the small cave with a frown. I couldn't see anything, but it almost felt like...

Out of the corner of my eye, I spotted a small ripple in the sand. The tiniest shift like there was something adding pressure on top of it.

I opened my mouth slightly, about to tell them when suddenly I was flying backwards, my back slamming into the cave wall before I fell to the ground. I felt a piercing, white hot pain in my abdomen, looking down in horror to find an arrow shaft sticking out of it.