11

NATALIE

NATALIE

"Stay the hell away from me."

I tried to ignore his quick footsteps behind me, as I trudged up the road to my house in the dead of night.

I was quickly starting to figure out Mystic Falls was an entirely too small town to hold so many people I currently couldn't stand.

With one restaurant, and his knowledge of my after practice routine it wasn't a surprise that he managed to corner me on the street, when I wouldn't pick up the phone.

57 texts, and thirteen missed calls sure was a lot.

Too bad I hadn't gotten around to teaching him about phone etiquette. Then maybe I could've clued him in on the whole idea that if I didn't respond after the first one, chances are I wouldn't be responding after the 30th one.

"Not that I don't love when you play hard to get darling, but what exactly am I standing trial for here?" His voice was light with humor as always, which only enraged me further.

I turned swiftly on my heel, stopping him in his tracks with the heat of my glare,

"You must think I'm a complete idiot." I hissed, "Like you must honest to god believe that I have the intelligence of a baked potato or something."

He didn't even look concerned at my state of vicious anger, choosing instead to tilt his head sarcastically like he couldn't even fathom why I would be upset.

"Well actually I think you're quite lovely when your not comparing yourself to cooked vegetables. But I take it your foul mood has something to do with me?" He grinned, stuffing his hands into the pockets of his thick coat.

How could he joke, and laugh, and pretend like he didn't do anything. Or that he'd been back for days, and never once told me the truth about his trips out of town.

"Oh cut the crap." I snarled, poking him in the chest, "You lied to me!"

There was a pause. A brief flicker were he almost looked guilty. But just as quick as it appeared, it was gone, replaced by an easy grin.

"Can't say I know what you're talking about."

Was he for real right now? I'd already caught him and he was still trying to cover his ass?

"Well let me refresh your memory." I growled, "You told me you were on the run. That you needed to leave to get away from your family, and you needed to go to New Orleans because you had protection there."